98 Challenger 1800 Keel up restoration!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinklecr

Good day to all, I am new to Sea Doo Jet boats. I have owned Yam jet skis and have made minor repairs to them nothing like I am getting into now! I have done a frame off restoration on my POLARIS 500HO 4x4 ATV with awesome results. This forum has been an awesome tool so far. The write up and info from seadoosnipe :thumbsup: has been the most help! It has helped me a few times so far. Ok now some info on this boat: 1998 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 (USA Built I think?) Picked the boat and trailer up from a guy that wanted me to fix it for him. It had been sitting out of the water since 2002!!! I asked him fixed correctly or rigged? He said all new wainted it done right. HA HA After i assesed the damage: Port engine froze, stbd turns over, but pistons full of oil. I asked rebuild or new? Wanted new, so after going through the whole boat without tearing open the engins told him $4000 total. He said no way asked if i wainted it. Told him the trailer was worth more than the boat. He asked for $500 for both! I think this is a good deal?!?? So now I have removed both engines and opened both up. Port: 1 piston frozen (salt water!) Stbd: 1 piston ring gone! head beat up. On both engines I think the jugs and linners are still good. Need to hone out. Both cranks and rods are good. So I think rebuild both top ends, rebuild carbs, and rebuild both jet pumps should be good. OK now a couple questions...
1. Pistons were OEM, sleves are avrageing 82.07mm So with a good honeing i sould be able to put stock 81.89 pistons and rings back in correct?
2. When I look up certin carb parts on ebay or other sites it doesnt say for 98 challenger but it does list for the 97 and 99 why?
3. On the carbs most web sites dont list accelerator pumps on the carbs for a 98 but my carb have them. Is the 98 sopose to have them?
Thanks for the help in advance. I will post PICs as soon as i can.
Any tips for me would also be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

My 2 cents; New stock jugs and pistons.
Also these motors spin at very high RPMs. Lock-tite all the bolts.
Use the search on this site for, Carb rebuilds. What size Motors?
Good luck and keep Us posted.

Ughh.....saltwater damage, missing rings, sitting a long time, and no prior maintenance and you want to get by with just a top end rebuild?!?!....Good luck with that!... :)

MIKUNI CARB REBUILD KIT SUPER BN MK-BN38/44 SPR rebuild kit will work, the accelerator diaframs aren't included and you'll need to by those separately, parker yamaha has them, http://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikunicarbacceleratordiaphragmpwc.aspx, they're hard to find, you should replace the needles and seats while you have the carbs apart.

Just saw the oil part, so your crank seals are bad too!...

You should look at getting 2 rebuilts from SBT save you time and money..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back