97 xp vs 951 help?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

asilva1818

I'm looking to add another ski, and was looking into an XP but came accross a 97 model for a really good deal. I know the 97 had the smaller engine than the 98's and newer but I know there's a lot of engine work that can be done on the 97's as well as the 98's. The engine themselves are cheap, is it possible to buy the 951 engine and put it in a 97 or can the smaller787 engine be worked on enough to be as fast as the 98's and newer? thanks!

don't mind a LITTLE work, on a possible swap but nothing major, or can everyone agree it's worth it for the 97 or just stay away completely, thanks!

i'd keep the 787 in it. Those motors can be run underwater, and not effect the integrity.

If wantingto do the swap, you'll need to re-mount the front motor mount to the other side, believe also, reroute the exhaust system. You can install a 787 flywheel and mag cup, to use the existing 787 electronics though.

I actually have both.

and they are really so close in stock trim I wouldnt go with the 951 over the 787. 787s seem to have a better bottom end...and that is where the real life of a motor is.

good luck...I love both of mine !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back