97 XP stalls

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPL

I have a 97 XP and will just shut off while riding , when it does it you can just hit the start button and it will start again . When it stalls the gauge turn of and come back on without touching anything . It will do it anytime at any speed or water condition . It has a new dess post and lanyard . Any help would be appreciated !!

Well those are the hardest to diagnose. I would check all electrical connections and grounds.

I have a 97 XP and will just shut off while riding , when it does it you can just hit the start button and it will start again . When it stalls the gauge turn of and come back on without touching anything . It will do it anytime at any speed or water condition . It has a new dess post and lanyard . Any help would be appreciated !!

Check the male/female plug for the DESS post, on the MPEM side of the plug probe a multi meter on the back side of it and tap it and move it around, check each wire, see if it breaks continuity.

I've got the same issue, sometimes when I put the lanyard on it does nothing. Not on me yet, but it has suddenly quit on my son a couple times but not lately. I've narrowed it down to the plug on mine, I can move it and watch continuity break on my digital meter. I've yet to get the tool to pop the pins out and try to fix it, I just jiggle the plug when I have the issue.

Advance auto sells a version of the tool to get the pins out. Not the greatest but worked for me to test my speedo wiring.

Advance auto sells a version of the tool to get the pins out. Not the greatest but worked for me to test my speedo wiring.

Thanks, I'll remember next time I go, I'm always in that place.. I do think some of the plugs and the pins on these things become loose over time and need attention. Usually it's a matter of breaking out the DMM and tracing some wires at various points. DESS post to barrel connectors in MPEM on each wire is how I found it, moving the plug continuity breaks, the meter flickers..'open' and 'shrt.'

On the 97 XP the MPEM pins are really susceptible to corrosion because they put it in a really bad location in the nose.

Remove all plugs and fuses and clean them ready good with something like DeOxit electrical cleaner. Then coat it really good with dielectric grease.

Check the male/female plug for the DESS post, on the MPEM side of the plug probe a multi meter on the back side of it and tap it and move it around, check each wire, see if it breaks continuity.

I've got the same issue, sometimes when I put the lanyard on it does nothing. Not on me yet, but it has suddenly quit on my son a couple times but not lately. I've narrowed it down to the plug on mine, I can move it and watch continuity break on my digital meter. I've yet to get the tool to pop the pins out and try to fix it, I just jiggle the plug when I have the issue.

Sounds like a good place to start . thanks !!

On the 97 XP the MPEM pins are really susceptible to corrosion because they put it in a really bad location in the nose.

Remove all plugs and fuses and clean them ready good with something like DeOxit electrical cleaner. Then coat it really good with dielectric grease.

I noticed where they were today when I was check to see if any connectors were loose , pretty bad place to mount them !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back