97 SPX waterbox identification

elprup

Hi. How can a 97 waterbox be distinguished from a 98 or 99? I allegedly bought a 97, but how am I able to tell for sure?

Hi. How can a 97 waterbox be distinguished from a 98 or 99? I allegedly bought a 97, but how am I able to tell for sure?
So you allegedly bought a white water box from a 97 SPX, and you want to know how to know if you in fact got one from a 97 and not a 98 or 99 SPX? Correct? To hot to work outside today, so I’m on it

From what I can see, there’s no definitive way to tell a water box from a 97 spx from a 98 or 99 SPX, they all have the same part numbers as you mentioned, slightly less restrictive on the 97 but next to no performance gains, only a little louder,

Unfortunately, that's what I expected to hear back, but thank you very much for the confirmation. Yeah, from my readings I've gathered that it's slightly louder and good for an extra 80-150rpm. Very minor, but something. Once I get my XP going again I'll just have to see if I get an RPM increase or not.
It has FPP spec 2 and water injection. I have the carbs off to rebuild them. To my horror, I found that they still have the stock jets! :eek: 🤯 Grr. 😤 🤬

The 97+ baffle is supposed to not break as easy as the 96 and prior. I haven’t cut either open to know the difference though. Never heard of an RPM gain. That would come from different water metering.

Back