97 SPX VTS goes up but not down

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

broknk

I recently took my ski out of storage to do a winter ride and when I hooked the battery up I checked the VTS and it ran all the way up and just stopped. After checking the fuses which were good, I took the motor out and turned the screw down manually while pushing the down button and the motor would not start running down until the magnet hits the down spot. When I would turn the screw up the motor would run fine and stop like it should at the up magnet. Is it common for a limit switch to go out?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

I think it would be very uncommon for the limit switch to die in the closed position (active). Its a normally open switch and I would guess it is more common to stay open circuit.

Are you sure the motor does not run down until your within the limit switch? If so, I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason for that one. Only thing I can think of is to make sure your motor wires are not reversed. Also, connect the motor directly to a battery and run it both directions to make sure it is mechanically free. There is no limit protection so be sure to disconnect quick after it hits end of travel.

One site that may help:
http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html

I think it would be very uncommon for the limit switch to die in the closed position (active). Its a normally open switch and I would guess it is more common to stay open circuit.

Are you sure the motor does not run down until your within the limit switch? If so, I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason for that one. Only thing I can think of is to make sure your motor wires are not reversed. Also, connect the motor directly to a battery and run it both directions to make sure it is mechanically free. There is no limit protection so be sure to disconnect quick after it hits end of travel.

One site that may help:
http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html

This one has me stumped for sure. What I did was I took the motor out of the VTS but kept it hooked up. I ran the motor while manually turning the screw gear until the motor would stop. Everything works fine in the up direction but stops a the top and will not run down when the button is pushed but if I manually turn the screw down while pushing the down button the motor will not start running until it hits the magnet. This had me thinking just one switch was stuck.
I hate to start throwing parts at it. I know the VTS is a weak part but I want to exhaust all options first.
Thanks for the response pyro

This one has me stumped for sure. What I did was I took the motor out of the VTS but kept it hooked up. I ran the motor while manually turning the screw gear until the motor would stop. Everything works fine in the up direction but stops a the top and will not run down when the button is pushed but if I manually turn the screw down while pushing the down button the motor will not start running until it hits the magnet. This had me thinking just one switch was stuck.
I hate to start throwing parts at it. I know the VTS is a weak part but I want to exhaust all options first.
Thanks for the response pyro

Brok,

Make sure your screw mechanism is not damaged, and free to slide the rod that penetrates the hull. It may be binding, and not able to overcome the limit switch.

Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back