'97 Speedster Throttle Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjash92

I just bought a 1997 Sea-Doo Speedster and took it to the lake this weekend. Unfortunately I ran into an issue. Both motors idle fine and I can run them both at full throttle fine. The problem comes into the acceleration. When I hit the throttle on both motors then the port side motor will stall out. I can throttle up one motor at a time and won't run into an issue. I want to say it's a fuel issue, but since I am able to run wide open (57 mph) I have no idea where to start. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Both of those engines pull from the same fuel baffle. I would check all the parts that both fuel systems share, like the fuel selector, fuel baffle, water separator/filter. I agree with your assessment. It does sound fuel related.

I appreciate the response! I checked/cleaned the filters, sprayed carb cleaner through it, and added seafoam to the tank. I ran it for about an hour this last weekend. After knowing a little bit more about what to look for because of reading these threads. Turn out it is just an issue with the port side engine. It idles fine and runs full throttle fine. It's just past the initial throttle position that it will stall out. I can hammer on it and it will run fine. I'm pretty sure it's carb related now, but I'm ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of the carb. Any ideas?

Sounds like a lean hesitation. Pop-off pressure might be too high on it, or could need a rebuild. Maybe the fuel pump is weak on it to provide that initial burst of fuel when the demand shoots up. If it were me, I'd rebuild them with genuine Mikuni kits and get new needle/seat for them.

Thanks for the feedback! I just took the carb off and will do the full rebuild tomorrow night. Starting to dig into this project more has raised 2 more questions...1) What is the wire that comes out of the top starboard side of the control box? Mine is disconnected. It appears to be a ground cable due to the end that is on it. 2) Is there any downside to premixing gas other than the extra effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back