97 Seadoo Challenger 1800 audio!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

masonf24

I went this saturday to test drive it and it drove perfect. i was really impressed so we bought it. the only thing wrong is the stereo and speakers i just purchased 2-6.5 infinity speakers and a new clarion receiver. i was just wondering if it would hurt anything to cut some holes and put some woofers and maybe a few more speakers. To run amps will i need to get a second battery just for this??? thanks and let me know if anyone else has modified there audio!!

trying to reply from work, but wont let me do long reply, will have to do it later.
12 years experiance car audio manager.
think i can help.
will answer from home.

thanks can't wait to hear what all i can do. wanting to install some subs but may just add two more 6.5's in.

Sound Upgrade

Hi,
I think the first thing i would look at is fitting a second battery, with an isolation switch so you can isolate one of the batteries when your parked and listening to music, you dont want to be stuck with a flat battery bobbing around in the ocean.
I haven't done it yet, but am planning to fit amp and subs in the future, if you go ahead i would be interested to find out just how good it works.
The more (Quality) power you install the better it will sound, no good getting lots of powerful cheap amps, as their distortion rating is much worse and you wont be able to use the power anyway!

will be back called to dinner!!:ack

Attachments

• 22032008 0261.jpg
    22032008 0261.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 22032008 0241.jpg
    22032008 0241.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 22032008 0251.jpg
    22032008 0251.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 152
So lets start with deck, dual rca preouts and higher output voltages down these preouts are needed so we can adjust the output of the subs seperate to the speakers and have good signal to noise ratio. Apart from that pick one with the features you want.
Amp or Amps. 4 channels is a minimum, 4 x 50wrms is a good start. 50wrms to each speaker and 200wrms bridged to the subwoofer. 2 x 4ch amp or 1 x 4ch and 1 x monoblock if you want to run 4 speakers and two subs. You could run 4speaker and a sub off one amp, but this would put a 2ohm load on all 4 channels and make the power delivery less efficiant, in affect use more power to create less output and more distortion.
1 x 4ch amp and 1 x monoblock would be the most efficiant way to produce good clean power.
Speakers, take your favorite music cd to the shop and listen to as many as you can and make your own mind up as to which ones sound the best, we all hear sound different to anyone else. Choose ones which have a polycarbonate cone and they will last longer or go full marine versions. Most marine speakers are less efficiant so again more power will make them sound better.
These are some spots i have chosen to put my subs. I would like to get them facing the deck mounted up under each dash but im not sure i will have the room to clear the storage boxes if i go for the 12inch subs i want, 12inches are the more effective of all the sizes avaliable.
The front speakers i would mount up under the grab handles at the front on the flattest area avaliable.

Smoko!

Attachments

• 22032008 0281.jpg
    22032008 0281.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 22032008 0291.jpg
    22032008 0291.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
i have a budget but might can talk the fiancee into about $350 more on the upgrades not counting the clarion receiver or the infinity speakers. i want quality so what would you suggest for me to stay in this budget and we will be doing all of the work ourselves so there won't be any installation fees. just let me know i kinda want to stay with infinity but i can't find marine subs by them. thanks!!!:cheers:

sorry took so long for me to reply.
I cant really help with budgets because i live in Australia and dont really know what things cost over there.
I would start with another set of speakers, this would give you the most output for the least dollars. The deck will have outputs for 4 speakers.
The next step would be to add the amp (4 channel) this would make your 4 speakers louder and clearer.
Then lastly add the sub woofer. The amp can be used to run 4 speakers in parrallel off 2 of the channels and the subwoofer bridged mono off the other 2 channels, the install booklet should explain how to do this.
This way you can add one piece at a time and keep you and your fiancee happy (most important).
When you purchase equipment plan for the next stage and you will allways be able to upgrade in the future or stop when your happy.

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and glad I found your posts. I haven't been able to find anyone else with information about upgrading the stereo in a Challenger so this is good. I added 2 6.5" speakers to the bow where you were talking by the handles, they fit great! The next thing I plan to do is add 2 8" speakers in place of the stock 2 stock ones plus an amp. If that isn't enough then the maybe a 10" sub!

Did you complete your install? I'm most concerned with the battery, I want a spare dedicated one too, did you do that? Any pictures or help would be greatly appreciated before I dive into this. I am limited on the amps selection because I already have two 2 channel amps. Good Rockford Fosgate units so I need to make them work, any advice on wiring the 4 speakers off one of the 2 channel amps? Saving the other for a future sub. Also, what wire guage for the amps and speakers did you use? Wire routing???

Sorry for the long post and so many questions but I just wanted to get it all out there.

Thanks.

Better late than never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Have been in Thailand for last month (holiday).:hurray:
Have you done your 8" in the back yet?
If not when you do them it would be good to cross the frequency going to the 8" speakers at a lower point the the 6" in the front. The 8" speaker will play better in the lower frequencies midbass(60-80Hz). The 6" speakers will only handle 80-120Hz. Because you only have 2x2ch amps, you would need to use both to do this(No subs)
There are formulars for working out wire gauge, simple rule is to use 4 gauge for both positive and negative to 2 amps. If you have 4 amps 2 x 4gauge cables or 0gauge. It all changes when competing but this is a good basic rule!!!
With the battery, you can add a second one in a number of ways. In parrallel(never disconnected will drian both batteries at the same time), through a switch(manual on/off if you forget will drain both), or through a solinoid(Automatic, charges and discharges automatically).
What model of rockford amps do you have?
When running two speakers of each channel of an amp, all you do is join the positives of the speakers together and the negative of the speakers together and use them as if it was one speaker. The amp will see a 2ohm load and with a good amp it will double its output.
Wire for the speakers i use 16gauge and for my subs i use 12gauge. But that also changes when competing. I have used 8gauge for subs lots of times.
I will hopefuly get my install done within the next month or two, but it is getting warmer here already, so might have to pospone because i want to take the doo for a thrash!!!!:hurray:
Hope this helps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back