97 Sea-Doo challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Wes Richey

I'm looking into buying a 97 Sea-Doo challenger but I want to know if I can take it out on the ocean before I buy it

I have the 97 Challenger 110 (single engine). I've taken mine 5mi offshore to do some snorkeling in the keys, and even roamed around outside the inlet at Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. It's really not designed to be out on the ocean, and in fact is quite dangerous out there in anything over 3' seas, but it can be done. Really, it's all about the weather and sea conditions. If you've got the bigger, 1800 twin engine, I think much more tolerant of rough water and is pretty sea-worthy. It had much higher gunwales, is longer and heavier. Should be an okay ocean boat. The twin engines are a great peace of mind. At least you know you can get back if one quits. I've never been out on one in the ocean, and haven't seen any out there. Most guys here are rocking the center consoles and 20'+ cruisers.

I have the 97 Challenger 110 (single engine). I've taken mine 5mi offshore to do some snorkeling in the keys, and even roamed around outside the inlet at Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. It's really not designed to be out on the ocean, and in fact is quite dangerous out there in anything over 3' seas, but it can be done. Really, it's all about the weather and sea conditions. If you've got the bigger, 1800 twin engine, I think much more tolerant of rough water and is pretty sea-worthy. It had much higher gunwales, is longer and heavier. Should be an okay ocean boat. The twin engines are a great peace of mind. At least you know you can get back if one quits. I've never been out on one in the ocean, and haven't seen any out there. Most guys here are rocking the center consoles and 20'+ cruisers.
thank you

Back