97 GTX Hi Temp Message on Cold Ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Finally pulled the Skis out to get them ready for the summer. Put a brand new, fully charged battery in the 97 GTX, put the DESS key on the post and got nothing. Took the key off, hit the start button and the gauges came on. Not sure if i held the button down or pushed it a few times but it beeped and Hi Temp came up on the screen. Took the wire off the temp sensor and tried again, same thing. I grounded out the temp sensor wire and the buzzer went off. Checked the fuse in the box and it was good. Jumped across the solenoid and the starter cranked so i know i am getting power. I cleaned the DESS post and the contacts inside the key and still nothing. Where do i go from here? I was going to check the fused in the MEPM tomorrow but any other suggestions are welcomed.

Just to add a brief history, last year i sucked up some trash into the pump and the ski over heated. Flushed it out and everything appeared fine other then i melted an o-ring in the head. I replaced the o-rings and took the ski to the lake. Ran fine but the stream coming out the hole was not as strong as it should be. Engine was a little warmer then i remember but i was still able to put my hand on it without getting burned. Took it back home and flushed it again just to be sure. Put Sta-bil marine in the gas, fogged the carbs and cylinders, blew out the water lines and covered it for the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past on my other ski's i was able to check it by unplugging it, is that not the case on the 97?
Would that sensor being bad stop the DESS key from registering?

I figured i would just take the temp sensor from my 96 and try it but they are different, has a previous owner changed something or did they change it in 97?

Here is the 97:

433.jpg

Here is the 96:

434.jpg

Replace the temperature sensor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on a 1999 GTX Limited. First, I've check the resistance of the water temp sensor and it look fine.
I got 2.500 kohms and in the service manual they say :
The resistance should be between 2.280 kohm and 2.736 kohm
Because it's cheap, I nevertheless replace the water temp sensor and the HI TEMP warning is still here ...

Any other idea ?

I found a old thread describing the same issue.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?69695-Proud-(maybe-sad)-new-owner-1997-GTX-Bad-MPEM
Got a new MPEM from Nick, installed it tonight and no change.
I traced the brown wire from the temp sensor and traced it back to the MPEM and unplugged it from there to eliminate any chance of a short. Still the same issue. Push the start button and get a Hi Temp warning.
Getting pretty frustrated with this, anyone have any other suggestions?

Disconnect the hi temp wire going to the info center gauge/ beeper/ mpem and see if the warning goes out.
I think your dess key issue is a separate issue altogether.
Disconnect the dess at the mpem. Put key on and measure for continuity. Two of the wires will give you continuity. I think it was between the blk and blk/yel. The other one is a data line to the key. I'm thinking the magnet in the key might not be pulling the switch in the post closed or the switch in the post is bad.

There isn't much to that whole system.
For the warning though, It's either electrical or its a software thing.
Just for the hell of it try holding down the set button for a few seconds next time you get that high temp message. I wonder if it's something that latched and has to be reset like the maintenance warning.

Fyi. I usually test temp sensors in a pot of water and see at what temp the thing will give continuity. I've seen almost a 50% failure rate so far. As in the temp rises but no continuity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have disconnected the wire from the temp sensor and still no change, even disconnected it from the MPEM to make sure there is not an issue with the wire itself.
If it was something in the software that needed to be reset changing the MPEM would have fixed that.

I will check the post tonight and report back but already sent Nick a PM about getting another post.

I meant a software thing in the info center not the mpem. I'm wondering if the info center is latched until you run the machine again and it detects everything is ok. As in it remembers the last state it was in the last time the engine ran and maybe it takes an rpm signal for it to wake up and clear the fault.

With no gauges or any extras connected you should be able to start the machine. The post in this case is the most likely issue preventing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back