97 GTX 787 issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travlash

Let me start by saying I am thinking about selling this so I need some convincing that it’s going to be ok lol.

97 gtx, new stator, new ignition coil, new stator connector. New top end, new rectifier rebuilt carbs. Cleaned RAVE valves. Premix with oil supply going to rotary valve.

1st thing: i have a 1/4 tank left in the first tank since rebuild. Break in period. Running 32:1 oil. Not holding it down a lot, all over the throttle now. Feels slow and only hits 40 when on it a little bit. Should be faster ? 135 compression in both cylinders. Also to note: the cylinders were not honed, but no gouges, smooth like a baby

2nd thing: it’s taking on water, enough that it shouldn’t be ran too long. It’s only when running. I checked a bunch of lines. Ran it through the hose and still can’t find it. Any common areas i should look for? I don’t think it is coming out of the metal flange on the exhaust. I also tightened the line that comes off in a T on the bottom of the cylinder.
Any insight is appreciated. I want to keep this but it isn’t not running fast enough.

Check the "so called" Water Plugs on the exhaust pipe. They will leak only when the ski is running. I have a couple of times leaned the ski way back and filled the back section with water to see if the hull is leaking. Sometimes the water inside the hull is warm which tells you for sure it is a cooling system leak. If you have everything made up tight, I'd suspect the "water plugs." Good luck with it.

Check the "so called" Water Plugs on the exhaust pipe. They will leak only when the ski is running. I have a couple of times leaned the ski way back and filled the back section with water to see if the hull is leaking. Sometimes the water inside the hull is warm which tells you for sure it is a cooling system leak. If you have everything made up tight, I'd suspect the "water plugs." Good luck with it.
Yes the water is warm. But can’t find it’s where are these water plugs ?

This is a repair on the water plug, sorry I lost a lot of pictures due to a computer crash so this is all I have. :D The plug It is a welded area on the exhaust pipe that is, I believe created during the casting process, and must be sealed. The aluminum welding often succumbs to the elements and begins leaking. There are 4 of these on the exhaust pipe for the 787 I believe. Give them a look while you are running the engine with the cooling water hose attached.

Exhause Pipe Plug for weld repair.jpg

This is a repair on the water plug, sorry I lost a lot of pictures due to a computer crash so this is all I have. :D The plug It is a welded area on the exhaust pipe that is, I believe created during the casting process, and must be sealed. The aluminum welding often succumbs to the elements and begins leaking. There are 4 of these on the exhaust pipe for the 787 I believe. Give them a look while you are running the engine with the cooling water hose attached.

View attachment 55307
I found the leak, wasn’t the pipe thankfully. It was the exhaust line going out, had a tiny hole in the back of the ski on the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back