97 GTI dies under throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey y’all! New PWC owner, downgraded from a cabin cruiser. I was out the other day and took a rip with my son. After about 8 mins of ride time I was turning to head back to our swimming area and it started to sputter and wanting to die. I also noticed by Speedo bouncing around from 0-70mph. Let off on throttle let her collect herself and carried on. 2 more mins of drive time at 3/4 throttle started sputtering again. Let off and then kept going. Rounded the bend and blah died. Fired back up again gave it some gas blah died again. Fires back up with some coaxing this time and made it to our swimming area. Called hubs he came out took it for a rip and same thing after 5-6 mins. Changed the rectifier and charged the battery as per a suggestion from a “mechanic”. Cleaned the carb, not much really came out. Put it to the hose to check voltage, yup good there so splashed it back in the water, went to get up and go and BLAH died! I’m new at this 2 stroke business (gimme a 350 merc any day) and can’t really afford a load of shop time. Can anyone direct me to where I should be looking? What I should be looking for? Or do I now have a bright yellow lawn ornament?

Back