97 Challenger Half power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch628

Hello to all. I have a 97 challenger with twin 787. One of the engines is running just fine the other engine will not rev past 3500 rpm's in the water or on the trailer. I have replaced ALL of the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, replaced the fuel filter, rebuilt both carbs, cleaned the rave valves, changed the plugs, checked for spark and that is good. Gas is good the other engine is running fine. After all of that it still will not go above 3500 rpm's. I am at a loss. Don't know what else to check on this boat. This is the first time I have ever owned a jet boat. I have always had boats with I/O's or inboards. So I figured I would post a thread and see if any of you seasoned jet boat/ski owners can give me some more insight on what else I can do with this problem.

Sounds as if the "rev limiter" mechanism is stuck in the control handle area, only prob with that is, it should EFFECT both throttles/motors...?

3,500 is the limit on the nuetral safety switch. Jump that closed and see what happens. Is your rear gate comming all the way up and locking?

Will try

Hey guys, thanks for posting your tip so quickly, I will try all of them asap and post my results. I can only hope that it is something as simple as the saftey switch, but knowing my luck it's probably..gulp..a compression issue.
Thanks again.

The compression test is a good thing to check, but I don't think that is the Real Problem. It sounds like it might be a neural switch, as it will limit the rpm's at 3500rpm's, but I bet its in he carbs not giving you enough gas. Does it bog as you give it fuel? It sounds like the Fuel Pump is the culprit. With the engines not running, after removing the Spark Arester, look inside the carbs as you push the throttle full throttle. It should squirt fuel inside the throat of the carbs. If it's real quiet you can hear the squirt. You could also put your finger in there and feel it squirt, or use a mirror.

Karl

Ok everyone so here is what happened. Over the winter I bought this 97 challenger, it was a little rough needed work, mostly cosmetic, but the engines started and that was fine with me. $2000 out the door trailer and all. Anywhoos it was cold in upstate NY where I bought it 15 degrees and a blizzard, so a sea trail was not happening. I still bought the boat knowing very well that there could be other issues. We had a breakout day up here on long island about 2 months ago so I figured I would take her out for a run. Thats when the whole thing with the starboard engine not going above 3500 rpm's started. I began by going over everything that I could think of and alot that I read on this websites threads. Now everytime that I did fix something I made the biggest rookie mistake there is. I started the engines and reved her in NEUTRAL! DUH! Not until I broke my friggin ass leaning over the engines and after reading in a thread that you must put the boat in gear did I realize that I had made this blunder. Even though I still wanted to check the boat under normal cicumstances with a load on the water. So, yesterday I was able to get her out and they purred. With 4 big guys I was able to get her up to 47 mph on the gps. Not to shabby. I want to thank all of you guys for all of your tips on how to get through some of these problems. You definatelly save alot of us money and time. The last thing that you want to do if your mechanically inclined is to have to bring it to the shop. Then it's a failure.

Glad you got your seadoo problem under control ...even if it wasn't a problem at all. If you have any other concerns or problems arise, we're here for you.
:cheers:
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back