96 xp misfiring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have ruled a lot of stuff out. Sorry your still plagued with an issue after fighting so hard. Luckily process of elimination points to the rear e-box or the wiring in between. I would have thought the whole grey box swap would've smoothed it out. It's tough blaming usual suspects like the white wire or bad grounding on the coil base since it cleans up when you stop charging. Have you tried a different battery?

I have tons of 96XP's around and mounds of parts so that gives me the luxury of part swapping problems away quickly. Sometimes I run low and have to build good units from a bunch of components, slows me down but teaches me a lot.

Rear ebox flooded which caused starter solenoid to fail, so I initally suspected and replaced the coil and lubed all connectors back there. The small wire from battery neg terminal into rear box looks pretty bad so I am going to replace that next. Yes, I tried a different battery as well.

Last edited:
Your dealing with a poor connection. But it's one that will show good continuity and poor current capability.
Imagine if water was inside a wire insulation and rotted away 10 of the 11 strands. It would work great until you put a load on it.

What happens when you double up on the wiring. As in:
Add a black wire from the grey box ground to the engine and to the pack of wires on the coil ground and then to the battery.
Then same for the positive. Go from the the battery positive to the regulator positive and bypass everything. (Recomend adding a fuse in line)
If that fixes it, just remove one segment at a time until it messes up again. That will tell you which one is bad.
That regulator only outputs if it senses voltage. So a weak connection means it starts up and then falls off once it applies current. So the misfire is the electrical surge and not a steady DC state.

Oh and what are you using for plugs ?

New NGK. I think BR8ES if memory serves correct. Would the small wire I was talking about do it? All other wiring appears good and that one is spliced and corroded. Anyway, it's an easy fix to try and at this point the likely culprit. If it doesn't fix it, I'll add wires as you recommended. I'll be thrilled if it fixes it but pissed to have gone through all the labor, frustration, money for parts, and missed 1/2 the summer of riding up here in Maine all over a bad wire.

Yes that would do it.
B8es will mess up the computer. The R is important.

Lol that's normal on these things. Next year will be maintainance free.

Last edited:
Yes that would do it.
B8es will mess up the computer. The R is important.

Lol that's normal on these things. Next year will be maintainance free.
I hope so. This year has been a doozy. Bought it running good in May. 2nd time I tried to run it (mid June), starter shaft broke in half. Then the VTS boot leaked filling rear e-box with water that I didn't notice until 2 weeks later when starter solenoid went. Now this dilemma which started 5 weeks ago.

Replaced the small ground wire that was in rough shape, checked all connections in rear box, went through connector between rear box and front box, tightened main ground cable. No improvement. When I pull the stator connector out of flywheel housing and wiggle it around, it improved some (let me rev it easier but it was still missing) which makes me think something is up with that connector which would explain the problem except that I replaced the stator and pickup and hooked them into that connector. They are locked in place, not bent, not oxidized, and I'm positive they are in the correct locations. There is visually nothing wrong with the connector.

Fixed- I tightened the nut holding the ground wire onto the starter a while back and it wasn't really loose so I figured I had a good ground connection to the block. Little did I notice that the bolt through the engine block to the starter was loose, so the ground wasn't making good contact between the starter and the engine. Glad it's sorted. Can't believe that was the culprit.

Last edited:
It's not the pickup. original was very clean and so was the one I replaced it with
It's not the stator. Same conditions as the pickup.
It's not the voltage regulator (i've tried 6 replacements)
It's not the CDI- tried one out of a very clean almost like-new electric box
I doubt it's the coil. I bought a used OEM on Ebay and put it on without improvement
I tried a different MPEM so doubt it's that.
There are no blown fuses
It always works well when I unplug the red wire or ground from the voltage regulator. Also works fine with entire voltage regulator removed.
I have no idea what else it could possibly be. No one else seems to either. I have no idea where to go from here. What connectors could be bad that would cause this?
Great Info here...hope we find the issue and report from you,thanks for posting.

Fixed- I tightened the nut holding the ground wire onto the starter a while back and it wasn't really loose so I figured I had a good ground connection to the block. Little did I notice that the bolt through the engine block to the starter was loose, so the ground wasn't making good contact between the starter and the engine. Glad it's sorted. Can't believe that was the culprit.

I know this is an old thread but is there any chance you could take a picture of what you had to tighten to solve the problem or show me on a parts manual or something? I am having similar issues to what you experienced and wandering if its not the same thing.

Follow the black cable from the battery to the starter and make sure it's tight.

Also open up all the electrical boxes and make sure all connections are clean and secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back