96 XP instant shut off like lanyard pulled

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWDAddict

So, finally got the ski on the water for the first time. The first one was good for about 15 then anything past a 1/3 throttle it would surge so thinking carb rebuild, easy. The 2nd ski runs great but the key seems finiky. I would just think I need a new DESS post but when I'm driving it will shut off, not just sputter but like spark has been taken away and the low fuel light will come on, just put a full tank of 89 in it. I pulled the key on my other XP and the fuel light doesn't come on so I'm thinking maybe it's more than just a DESS post. This issue sound familiar to anyone?

My XP did me that a few times. It was really strange. When troubleshooting I noticed the red fuel light come on even though I had 3/4 tank of fuel. It would go out and come on again. I just figured it was something strange with the float or gauge and unrelated to the cutting off issue If I held the ski wide open after about a mile it would kill and take a few seconds to restart.... then I could apply the throttle cautiously for a minute or so afterwitch I could hammer down again and it would kill and repeat. :D

Ended up being the strainer in the bottom of the baffle not allowing enough fuel in. So at high power settings the baffle would drain, the ski would tell me "low fuel" because the level in the baffle wasa low. I pulled the baffle poked a few holes in it with a screwdriver and never had an issue since. LOL Good Luck !

I see that somebody replaced all the fuel lines and put new worm clamps on the fuel sending unit. Guess it's possible they replaced it with the wrong one or didn't seat the baffle correctly

Gas gauge doesn't work either BTW, the fix looks like the a PITA but at the same time a new baffle is almost $200. Argh

Do the fix. A new baffle will just do the same thing. Ask me how I know. Yep, I paid $300 to do the fix a second time.

Gas gauge doesn't work either BTW, the fix looks like the a PITA but at the same time a new baffle is almost $200. Argh
I send my baffles to a guy on Ebay. $62 for repair and shipping back to me ready to go and they work great !!. He even fixed one where the wires were cut off flush. I've done the fix once or twice. It's not too bad but I don't have the proper tool to melt that plastic back. I use my soldering iron. LOL I'm sure a plastic weld kit would work way better.

I cannot remember 100% for sure, but I think the last fix I did, I looked real close and could not figure a reason to close the hole back up and left it open. Again, not 100% sure I did, but I must have at least thought about it.

Still having this issue, cleaned out the carbs and brought it to a a guy that knows these well. He's thinking it's the MPEM because it the lights will light up on the dash but it doesn't always turn over. When it does it will run for maybe 5-15 seconds and then just shut off, this is out of the water even.

They can be tricky for sure. Check that coil. I had the strangest problem on my 96 XP.

Good Stuff !! Touchdown !!!

I had a DESS post with the proper plug on it for a quick change out under the good. I use it for a quick test. I lent it out to a guy that thought he was having DESS post issues and I said, when the ski give you trouble, plug this one it. That's the last I"ve seen of it. I guess I need to make another one. LOL Good little tool to have :)

Good Stuff !! Touchdown !!!

I had a DESS post with the proper plug on it for a quick change out under the good. I use it for a quick test. I lent it out to a guy that thought he was having DESS post issues and I said, when the ski give you trouble, plug this one it. That's the last I"ve seen of it. I guess I need to make another one. LOL Good little tool to have :)

So u can buy the two mated together? I was thinking key was linked to computer, mine just dies, nothing on gauge, plug key back in bingo for a minute or so then dies again

All my tool did, which not really a tool, it was a DESS post with the proper plug on the end to plug right into the wiring harness. So by unplugging the suspect DESS post and using an alternate you could kinda elliminate the DESS post as cause of the problem. You still need the correct key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back