96 XP and 96 SPX Restos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well now I have to have a plan or I'm just plain crazy. :) Picked up 3 skis today 300 miles away. (96) XPs (one for parts), and 1 SPX. I don't know how you guys get the yellow to come back but this XP is Fugly.... the good one is the spray painted one on the right side of the trailer. Have some parts including a good engine for the SPX (717). Fortunately for me... I know where a lot of the parts go. Ha ha. Here are some pics. No plans to start full bore right away but I will get started. I really like the condition of the exterior of the SPX. Input is always appreciatedParts XP Left Side.jpgSPX ET.jpgSPX Gauges.jpgSPX Left side Name.jpgXP Hood.jpgXP on Trailer.jpgXPs on Trailer.jpg

There is absolutely no reason you can't save all 3. Remove the decals then sand and buff. Nothing special, just time and money. My 96'XP was the same when I started.
220.jpg242.jpg

There are a lot of parts missing from the donor machine but you are right.. it is doable. :)

I saw that deal on my craigslist search here lol. Can't believe someone spayed a bee on that 96 lol! The other 96 has 99SPX graphics.

Don't you have a donor GTX? Or just an engine?
I do have a GTX that is not in bad shape at all. Are many of the parts interchangeable with the XP ?? They removed the electronics from the donor ski. I will take a picture of what parts are still in the ski. I've got a pile of parts which to me is a Gold Mine. LOL

I saw that deal on my craigslist search here lol. Can't believe someone spayed a bee on that 96 lol! The other 96 has 99SPX graphics.
Ya'll got me started with the XP. I figured I could get at least one working hopefully and enough parts so I wouldn't be all over Ebay as usual. :)

Pretty much everything from the GTX will work on the XP’s. You’ll have to check with @Matt Braley on the MPEM.

For the seat just fill in the bad foam with anything close and just glue with contact cement and shape to match. Then get a cover like the JetTrim that’s padded and you’ll never know.

The SPX looks so good I think I'm gonna start with that one. Have a supposedly good engine so if I can get that in there pretty quick, this one may be on the water soon. The good XP is supposed to need just carb rebuilds... where have we heard that before. LOL I'm due for some good fortune with the skis but I'm not complainin. :) I want my wife to ride one of these 3 to see what she thinks. She is taking a shine to driving like a hooligan on the GTX. She swapped ends a couple of times and loved it.

Make sure your paperwork is in order before you go putting a ton of work in the XP. I see it has AL registration so they probably did not come with titles. La can be very picky at the tag office. I've had a guy drive all the way back over here once with paperwork because we did not dot some I's and cross our T's.

Thanks Matt. I laughed about the Louisiana tag... and told my wife it was an omen. I live in Louisiana and my initials are..... ET. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back