96 Sportster, oil in bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeman

Just bought a used 96 Sportster with the a 717. When I bought it, it had been sitting for quite a while, possibly over a year. The bilge had a few gallons of water, covered with a pretty thick oil slick. (Light blue/green in color, and very thick)
Spent the past week cleaning it repeatedly, (mostly blige) and finally about 97% clean.
Drained the oil tank of the green unknown stuff, and used a pump to suck it out of the rotary valve gearbox cavity. Refilled with Seadoo full synthetic (red stuff) and test ran her a few times in the driveway.
Belched smoke for a bit, then cleaned up. Water appeared to be moving through the cooling system as it should.

Today, took her out on the water for the first time. Let her warm up properly and then slowly opened her up. No smoke to speak of, no misfiring, and ran up to what I think is normal WOT rpm. No tach to verify, but I had a XP with a 650, and it sounded nearly identical. Felt good.

Had her out for about 30 minutes, enough to prove proper operation. Trailered it, and went back home. Opened the engine compartment and took a look, and saw only a minimal amount of water, probably from climbing in and out. Tipped her up and then I saw some oil.

Brand new Red Seadoo stuff. Total amount, probably about 2 ounces. Clean, sitting on top of the water. Sucked it all out, and watched. A small about dripped from somewhere under the exhaust side of the engine, and eventually stopped. Maybe a teaspoon or less.

The Question: Where from? It has been worked on, and some work was sloppy. Maybe a nicked or gouged oil line? Injector pump? Will I need to yank the engine?
If so, does the jet pump have to be removed, or can it be done without jet pump removal?
I have rebuilt three jet pumps, 1 587, and two 787's. Complete overhauls.
I'm hoping I dont need to rebuild this one completely.
Thanks in advance guys!!
Apeman

Mine was leaking from the grommets on the bottom of the oil tank. Just wipe down your hoses real good and check them in a few days they'll probably have oil on them. They are 10 bucks a piece new.

Checked those when I was cleaning out the bilge, but I'll take another look.
Thanks!
-apeman-

Mine also has valves on the oil lines to keep excess oil out of the motor. Apparently there are some seals in the rotary valve or the oil pump that seep over time. So I open them when I run it and keep it closed for storage. I dont know if this will result in oil in the bilge but its something to check.

Yep, I have one valve on order. It was my understanding that the line the feeds the crank cavity is the one that needs the valve. I thought that the gravity pressure over time pushed oil past the inner crank seals. Especially if the owner used Non Rotax Synth 2-cycle oil that may 'soften' those seals.
I'm really hoping that the more detailed grommet inspection reveals a leak.
When I rebuilt my 787, I Banged the feed line while lowering the engine into the hull, and I dinged it hard enough to leak. Had to pull it back out and replace the line.
There was some swearing involved...
-apeman-

144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is definitely not the grommets. It is coming from somewhere near or on the engine.
I cleaned out the hull again, and wiped the engine underside, hoses and connections as best I could. I placed paper towels under each hose port and will check tomorrow for fresh drippage. If there's nothing, then the oil leak is happening when the engine is running. Which probably means a seal, or possibly a crack?
Hoping for a hose leak at or near the engine.
-apeman-

I've heard if there is a leaky gasket this can happen, but isn't usually an operating problem.

block off kit bud?

The paper towels may have revealed the culprit. It was soaked pretty good, right under the spigot/hose clamp where the oil feeds the crankcase. I'm hoping I can remove the carbs, and work on it. One of my rebuilds did the same damn thing. I think the hose clamp was over tightened at some point, and bit into it enough for a slow leak.
Hopefully shortening the hose by a few inches and reconnecting will resolve the leak. Cant work on it till Sunday though. grrrrr.

I think the problem is resolved. Removed the carbs, and got a mirror and light in there to see. Opened the oil valve, and watched. One drip per minute, right at the hose clamp. Pinched the hose, loosened the hose clamp and the oil line fell off the nipple on its own. The hose end was significantly enlarged and sloppy feeling. I cut off an inch or so, and reconnected. New clamp, oil turned on, and no drip. I'm leaving the oil open overnight and will check after I'm home from work, but I'm feeling pretty good about this issue. I think I have it. Now I need to find some time to run it before I need to winterize it. (wisconsin sucks at times...)
Many thanks again for the help!!
-apeman-

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all, the oil problem is gone. Got to take her out yesterday. ran great, but I think the jet pump may be cavitating a bit, noticeable when coming out of the hole, but fine once planed out. Otherwise a great day on the water. That 717 seems to be pretty easy on gasoline.'So, winter projects will be rebuild the jet pump and a new wear ring, reupholster the seats, and figure out what to do about the getcote fade/porosity. Thinking about clear coat, upper deck only. Good idea or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back