96 Speedster looking for shop manual and general advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. New here
I just picked up a 96 speedster jet boat that works, but the left engine leaks oil internally. Piston rings? I am a mechanic but I work on turbine powered helicopters so this is all new to me! I have a 97 speedster as a parts boat as well
Also I have not found the shop manual here..just supplements. I would really like the manual

Hi, and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great info. and great helpful knowledgeable members here.
Go to the link Sea-Doo Manuals at the top of the screen, then the link for the Sea-Doo Boat Manuals, then 1996 Sea-Doo Jet Boat Shop Manuals/Operators Manuals, then, and this is maybe where you went off-track a bit, instead of clinking the attachments, clink the link above the attachements http://www.seadooforum.com/manuals/1996 Shop Manual.pdf or click what I entered above if that works.

Your internal oil leak is most likely because of leaking inner crank seals. The only way to repair is to tear the motor apart and replace the entire crankshaft.

If your oil is blue or green, it is the wrong oil and may have contributed to the seals failing. Some have had luck reducing leaking by draining/flushing the oil system and filling with the correct API-TC rated oil.

If your leak isn't fouling plugs, you can still get many hours of use from it. It will smoke like crazy on initial startup, but will eventually clear up. For long periods of storage, a shut off valve can be installed on the large oil line that feeds the rotary shaft cavity. You just need to remember to open the valve when using the boat.

Thanks very much for the advice and the manual link. I was clicking the PDF that was my issue.

I was able to get the engine started and as you said yes it smoked quite a bit. Maybe I will try flushing the system as you mentioned. Not sure what kind of oil he had in it, but it was serviced at a dealer so hopefully the correct stuff.

I do have 2 spare engines ( 1 in tact), but if I can run the engine like that for the rest of this season and then swap in the winter that would be great.

Thanks again guys!

As long as it’s not flooding the cylinders while it’s sitting, you should be able to get through the season. If you add a shut off valve, I would highly recommend clipping the lanyard to the valve when not in use. That way you have to put your hands on the valve before you can start the boat... That valve is a great band aid, until you forget to open the valve and trash the rotary valve gear. Keeping the lanyard there is inconvenient, but it reduces the chance of that happening...

I agree the lanyard would be good.
Is there any way of knowing before I start if the cylinders are flooded?. Maybe take out the spark plugs and turn it over to evacuate?

Yeah, just pull the plugs and give it a crank. You’ll know real fast whether it’s flooded or not. Since you got it to fire and it wasn’t hydro locked, I’m going to go ahead and assume this is a slow leak. If the boat is used regularly, you may get some smoke on startup, but it should be fine to run as long as it hasn’t been sitting for a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back