96 speedster bogging and massive rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cablebandit

I just bought a 96 seadoo speedster with 2x rotax 717. First day out it ran great. Now the port motor is acting up.
symptoms: It runs pretty normal for about 30 secs in the water and will rev to 7000 rpm under load but then starts losing rpm and bogging like its starving for gas.It gets worse until finally it struggles to make 3000-4000 rpms. Idle for a few minutes and it is able to gain more rpm but goes right back to bogging and losing more and more rpm.

Solutions tried:
I've rebuilt the carbs for that motor. The filters were spotless as well as the inside of the carbs. The fuel sending unit in the tank is spotless. The filter on the "firewall" is spotless. Overall the fuel system is really clean. I swapped the rebuilt carbs to the starboard side and the problem did not follow the carbs to the starboard side so Ive eliminated the carbs. It runs the same whether the fuel shutoff/flow/reserve valve is in reserve mode or full fuel mode. I do not have the grey fuel lines. I've pulled the choke while it is bogging and that kills the motor.
This doesn't seem to be fuel related. The plugs are new recommended NGK 8 gapped at .22 and the tips are screwed on tightly. Compression is at 150psi

What do you guys think is the next logical step. With the exhaust exiting in the water, it is hard for me to get a sense of any misfiring or anything like that. It doesnt sound/feel like one cylinder dropping as the whole engine bogs down. Starboard motor runs like a champ

You could try bypassing the selector by puting a piece of 1/4 inch fuel hose from that motor straight to the fuel baffle from the carb inlet on the bottom to eliminate the fuel selector since the problem didnt follow the carbs.

Shot in the dark: Previous owner sold it due to this problem. They figured out a way to temporarily make the symptoms go away. What problem would fit those perpetrators? Anyone? Anything that could be a re-occurring problem that can be temporarily fixed? Oil leaking into the stater? Warped head? Something that keeps getting clogged up? Gasket maker on a bad crank seal?

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I did not have one of the external fuel filter canisters screwed on correctly and it was allowing air into the fuel system. It SEEMED right but after taking it off and blowin through it (with the OUT nipple plugged) I could hear air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back