96 SeaDoo Challenger 5896 Trim Mechanism

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

I hope this is not a duplicate thread.

REFERENCE Diagram: 1996 Sea-Doo Challenger, 5896 Trim, Manual | Fox Powersports Sea-Doo Partshouse

Since I got the boat I've been off and on working on the VTS control. What I believe is supposed to happen, is when you shift the boat to forward, this will pull a cable (Part #22) connected to the shift cable and create tension on two sliding plastic parts (Parts #16) in a grooved channel (Part #17). When this happens the tension should pull these plastic parts together locking the VTS cable in place allowing the VTS to function properly.

However, if these plastic parts are allowed to slide freely in the grooved channel the VTS control is useless. I've been searching for images of the assembly, and staring at this diagram trying to figure out how these two plastic parts, when compressed / pulled together, actually allow the VTS to work.

The only thing I can gather is that a screw (Part #20) in the diagram screws through the control frame, a shim then into the grooved channel where the two plastic parts can slide. But, the screw exits into the grooved channel between the two plastic sliding parts. This holds the plastic parts from sliding all the way to the top, or bottom, and causes the VTS to work perfectly. When shifted forward, the VTS lever will pull the pump nozzle fully up or down.

I just have no verification this is how it's supposed to be assembled. If anyone has a 96 challenger, and has a few minutes, can you take photos of the VTS assembly to show how the cables are installed and how this sliding mechanism is assembled?

This diagram is a bit difficult to understand as far as how the assemble is supposed to be put together.

Any help on this would be awesome!

Thanks!

Neutral
IMG_20190823_145158458.jpg

Forward
IMG_20190823_145214446.jpg

I had never noticed that the VTS and shift lever were connected. Always thought that they worked independent of each other. After messing with it a bit, the only difference I see is the nozzle has about an 1/8" more up trim when the shifter is in forward

After looking further, I believe you are correct that the VTS is supposed to do nothing until the boat is in forward. The VTS cable is supposed to move freely through both black slides. Mine is hanging up a bit on the bottom slide, allowing the nozzle to move while in neutral

@jts32 You rule! Thanks for this pictures. Can you verify if there is a screw coming through at the point I noted in the picture? Inside the aluminum slide shoe at the center point.

If so, can you push the shifter forward then move the VTS fully forward and see if the lower plastic slide is being secured in place by this screw so it is unable to move any further up the slide than mid way? From what I "think" the top slide should never be able to moved down past mid point, and the lower slide should never be able to move up past id point. And the screw makes this possible. But I can barely see something in the center of the slide shoe that may support my theory.

1566591238567.png

Also, in order to get more from your VTS, you can adjust the "compensation" cable from the shifter to hold those two black plastic parts more together when the shift cable is fully forward.

There is a screw threaded into the center of the channel. It comes from the main mechanism, through a plastic shim, and threads into the channel for the VTS. It does stop the black slides from going past midpoint

@jts32 YES!!!!!!! Thank you so much for checking that. This has been bothering me for a few months now. The diagrams are vague with that requirement to the assembly.

Also, thow to plastic pieces should hold together fairly tight when the shift cable is forward. If you can move them apart when the shifter is forward you probably need to adjust the cable so they hold tighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back