96 Sea-Doo XP not getting spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on the post I listed.
This is to test the CDI black box in the white box in the front.
"On the connector that has three wires, place the negative lead on Gray/White and the positive lead on black."
"Just checked. On those wires it will give you a certain value and then keep climbing."
"The spec is 33K ohms and it's climbing toward 1M ohms"
I've checked those 2 wires and my values are good according to manual

I check out the signal on the white wire to the coil and looks like it's working.
My Fluke meter does HZ and AC mA so I saw something when cranking on both settings.
I am leaning heavily toward the electrical connections, my ground wire doesn't look that great so I'm making some extra ground cables and fixing and might put a capacitor inline with the battery to help with voltage drop when cranking.

I also don't understand how you can get the inline spark tester to work when the white wire is disconnected from the coil. The only other thing you say that does not seem right is that you connect the white wire back to the negative terminal of the coil. My ski is remote from my home location and I am recalling from memory and looking at the schematic for your ski. The bottom of the coil has 3 connections, the main post and 2 fastons. The main post is case ground (negative) and has a lot of black wires connected on a bolt through it. One of those black wires goes to one faston at the bottom of the coil which is coil negative. The other faston at the bottom of the coil would be where the white wire goes and that would be coil positive (not coil negative as you state above). Is that how yours is wired?
The only other thing I can tell you is what I observed on my ski while diagnosing no spark problems. I never tried to measure the voltage at the CDI while cranking (except when I found out it dropped completely when I determined the holder relay was faulty). I would usually test it connected directly to the battery while cranking if I suspected a marginal battery. I would notice if the voltage dipped to around 10 volts the ski would crank but not fire. A good battery, or even a marginal one freshly off a charger, will not dip that far while cranking.

I also don't understand how you can get the inline spark tester to work when the white wire is disconnected from the coil. The only other thing you say that does not seem right is that you connect the white wire back to the negative terminal of the coil. My ski is remote from my home location and I am recalling from memory and looking at the schematic for your ski. The bottom of the coil has 3 connections, the main post and 2 fastons. The main post is case ground (negative) and has a lot of black wires connected on a bolt through it. One of those black wires goes to one faston at the bottom of the coil which is coil negative. The other faston at the bottom of the coil would be where the white wire goes and that would be coil positive (not coil negative as you state above). Is that how yours is wired?
The only other thing I can tell you is what I observed on my ski while diagnosing no spark problems. I never tried to measure the voltage at the CDI while cranking (except when I found out it dropped completely when I determined the holder relay was faulty). I would usually test it connected directly to the battery while cranking if I suspected a marginal battery. I would notice if the voltage dipped to around 10 volts the ski would crank but not fire. A good battery, or even a marginal one freshly off a charger, will not dip that far while cranking.
So I have read and been told that 6v coils are opposite. Power goes to negative. I also posted this question in another forum and my answer was to put ground on positive spade. My old coil was set up this way so that's what I did. It will still work the opposite way if my reading is correct. The spark will just flow in reverse and won't run as well

I agree it doesn't make sense for my spark tester to work. I'm not arguing that. But it does work, and I don't know why. I can only imagine I swapped a wire somewhere or I'm getting power running up the ground wire to coil somehow.

Ok so I'm back home. Only the plug towards the rear of the ski lights up, and it's actually when the white wire is disconnected from the coil in general, not just grounded to battery. Getting .24 volts on white wire while cranking. Battery checks out. Still waiting on new coil

I don't remember if the fastons on the coil are marked positive and negative, but if they are I would definitely connect the white wire to positive and the black wire to negative (which also connects to the case ground). The coil is the same part number as mine and is a 12 volt coil. The coil takes the pulse from the CDI module and steps it up to a large voltage to cause a spark across the plugs.
If you followed the video, then you already cleaned up all the connecting wires and posts to the coil and tested you have continuity from the coil negative to the battery negative. Pick a large unpainted bolt into the engine or unpainted surface of the engine and check resistance from that to the negative connections at the bottom of the coil. If you have any resistance that is significantly more than the reading you get by just shorting your ohmmeter leads together, then there may be an issue. Also check the resistance from the battery negative to the engine block.

I don't remember if the fastons on the coil are marked positive and negative, but if they are I would definitely connect the white wire to positive and the black wire to negative (which also connects to the case ground). The coil is the same part number as mine and is a 12 volt coil. The coil takes the pulse from the CDI module and steps it up to a large voltage to cause a spark across the plugs.
If you followed the video, then you already cleaned up all the connecting wires and posts to the coil and tested you have continuity from the coil negative to the battery negative. Pick a large unpainted bolt into the engine or unpainted surface of the engine and check resistance from that to the negative connections at the bottom of the coil. If you have any resistance that is significantly more than the reading you get by just shorting your ohmmeter leads together, then there may be an issue. Also check the resistance from the battery negative to the engine block.
Swapped it around as you said,l. I have cleaned everything but just to be safe I replaced all the ground wires in the rear box and sanded down any connection that I couldn't replace. Turns over like butter now, super smooth and no hesitation. Rechecked power into and out of CDI and it looks good. About 0.34v at coil on white wire. Battery seems to drop to about 10.8 when cranking. Reconditioning it all night and charging it tomorrow. I'm convinced I got a junk coil so if FedEx ever finds where my new one went I'll update everyone

Swapped it around as you said,l. I have cleaned everything but just to be safe I replaced all the ground wires in the rear box and sanded down any connection that I couldn't replace. Turns over like butter now, super smooth and no hesitation. Rechecked power into and out of CDI and it looks good. About 0.34v at coil on white wire. Battery seems to drop to about 10.8 when cranking. Reconditioning it all night and charging it tomorrow. I'm convinced I got a junk coil so if FedEx ever finds where my new one went I'll update everyone
Also did the other reading you suggested and those were good. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully we figure this out soon.

Ok, update time. New used CDI, new OEM MPEM, new coil, all new wires, new battery, power into CDI, all grounds are good. Cranks great, still no spark. Now when I put the key on the post and wait for a click sound after a few seconds and then press the start button, I get a split second of spark with the first crank. Then I have to wait for that click again before getting another spark. Holder relay was replaced with a used one. Ideas? Bad CDI? Is someone able to test out their CDI and tell me what value they get between white wire and ground? Manual says about 2 mega ohms

Have you pulled the mag cover off to see if the trigger is broke or loose?
I redid grounds got great low to zero resistance, and still no spark also.
I wonder if the kid I bought the ski from hooked the battery up backwards and killed my box
where did you get your used parts?
also getting conflicting info on the 2 boxes in the front, smaller black box on back cover I have see it called and CDI amplifier and I guess the Mpem is the CDI box, because if you look at older units it just has the Mpem and a CDI coil pack

Last edited:
Ya I've pulled the cover but I'm gonna pull it again today and really get in there. I've been getting my parts from eBay and a local shop with a bunch of parts skis. Another CDI is on its way. If that doesn't do it then I'm changing the stator and trigger wire.

ordered a complete box with a matched key from ebay 279.00 vs just the CDI for 175.00 hope this fixes my problem.
Did a bit more digging and ohmed the white wire from the CDI to the coil it has high resistance 1.2 ohms.
so I jumpered the white wire around the plug which fixed the high resistance but still no spark, I think it overheated the CDI because I see a small burn color on the white wire at that plug.
what is your price on used CDIs?

I think I paid 160 for the first one and closer to 200 on the second one. What do you get for resistance between white wire pin and black wire pin on your CDI? No one has been able to get that value to me

same as the other post 32M ohms but the guy in the video said even if it ohms out good it can still be bad.
those 3 wires are for the RPM data to go into the Mpem but this was from the 3 wire plug
I just saw this in the manual and I need to try.
1595257398771.png

same as the other post 32M ohms but the guy in the video said even if it ohms out good it can still be bad.
those 3 wires are for the RPM data to go into the Mpem but this was from the 3 wire plug
I just saw this in the manual and I need to try.
View attachment 50000
Ya, I'm referring to white to black in the other plug. Says 2.2 mega ohms. Both of my CDIs tested at 0 between those 2 pins.

Ill check my old one tonight and the new one when I get it.
the box I got said it was tested good, but you know how that goes, but at least there's a 30day buyback from this ebayer.

Ok, installed another new CDI and now have spark. The white wire to black wire in the CDI indeed should not be 0. Thanks for the help everyone who commented

Did you ohm it?
So hooking up the battery backward cooks the CDI I guess..
Ya, those 2 wires were 2 mega ohms and climbing. I knew as soon as I hooked the battery up wrong that my CDI was probably toast. Didn't expect to buy a bad one as a replacement though. Lucky me the guys is cool with me sending it back.

Got my new used on. And got the same 2 Megs on white and ground. but had to swap my positive and negative to get it to read correctly not sure why.
but gave it a test fire and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back