96 gtx no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jt123

Hello everyone, i was recently given a 96 gtx thats been kept in a garage for the past two years. Its a family members and last time they took it out it died in the middle of the water and wouldnt start back up. They replaced the coil but i dont believe they hooked the wires correctly (i have no clue how that happened) because there is a burnt spot in the bottom of the e box and there was a burnt up coil in the front compartment. I installed a new coil and had nothing so as i read on some forums, the mpem could have been fried and i thought id replace that for the heck of it. The 96 gtx mpem is a tough one to find so i ordered the only one i could find ( that wasnt rediculously priced) and installed it. The new one had one less wire than factory so there is one free unhooked wire coming off the ski that is grey with white stripe. It duns back to the dess key post so i thought id just try to crank it and see what happens. The engine bumps over for about a second and then i get two beeps. Im assuming its due to the wire off the dess post not being connected but i cant be sure. And thats what leads me here. The new mpem did not come with a dess key and i understand it needs to be programmed probably but no dealership near me will even touch it cause its pre 2000. So any suggestions on where i can hook up the grey and white wire off the dess and is there any way to either by pass the dess key or get the mpem to recognize it without a dealership or the softwhere. Also every wire on the new mpem matched the wires connected to the old one it just had one less wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated because i am stumped. Thanks

I am not sure about the extra wire but most of the aftermarket MPEM's don't use the security key so no need to program it.

There have also been a lot of aftermarket MPEM's that either doesn't work at all or are dead on arrival.

I always suggest getting a tested and guaranteed OEM one from Westside Powersports Seadoo @Minnetonka4me

The Grey wire is for tach. You'll have to post pix of the mpem. I agree... Aftermarket mpems are garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back