96 GTX cavitation Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seawolf18

I bought a 96 GTX last year, and The ski ran great every time we took it out last summer. When I took my ski out for the first time this year, it was cavitating so bad that I couldn't get it to go any faster than idle speed. I was also getting water in the haul from the carbon seal. I tried to adjust the bellow tighter against the seal, and tried it out again. If I would just stand on it, the motor would bounce off the rev limiter at 7k rpm, and go no faster than idle speed still. If I nursed it up on plane, and then punched it, It would getup and go almost like it did last year.

I figured the carbon seal and maybe the wear ring was shot due to the water leakage and cavitation. When I took the pump and drive line out, I found a large rock lodged in one of the bronze vanes at the back of the pump. I also found a bunch of plants wrapped around the drive shaft. There was also no grease on the impeller splines. The splines still look ok, minus a little rust on them. The clearance in the wear ring is getting close to the thickness of a dime, and there are some little chunks missing out of it. The impeller is beat up a little bit. I figure its all from ingesting that rock.

The carbon seal has some wear on it. There was also a large O-ring where the bellow slides into the haul. I didn't think they had an o-ring there from the factory? Maybe the previous owner was also having issues, and was trying to put more pressure on it by adding the o-ring.
20170727_220809.jpg 20170727_221025.jpg

I ordered a new wear ring and carbon seal set. I was wondering if the impeller needed to be ground, or is it still ok?
20170726_200810.jpg

Fairly certain your whole slipping is from the carbon wear ring, especially since it was letting water in. I haven't dealt with the carbon wear ring type yet, BUT there is a lot of online diagrams to show what parts go where. ie http://www.seadoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/sea/500d90c7f870020908258802/drive-system

I have had people say bad things about a better looking impeller, some clean up will help with cavitation as well. I have never done it, so I can't help.

I agree, your impeller looks pretty well cooked. The leading and trailing edges are very important in helping create and maintain thrust.

There are several companies that can refurbish impellers for reasonable prices (SBT and Impros come to mind).

There is a local company that all they do is propellers, I'm going to have to get a hold of them and see if they can work on it. If not I guess I will have to mail it to impros. I'm now waiting on an impeller tool and parts.

Don't waste your time dealing with Impros. Bunch of incompetent idiots there. Call Greg at Skat Trak, Calimesa, CA... They'll take care of you

I second Scat-Trak. Also SBT has been sending out crap impellers lately that aren't even the correct pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back