96 GSX Knowledge Needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Gasngo

Good morning all rain here in central Tx and looks like we are done for the season. Ill say this I did get my 03 GTI RFI running as mentioned earlier and it runs like a champ. My ? Im looking at a 96 GSX that a guy has for sale. Its missing the DESS key so thats one challenge but its my understanding the the various early years had different MPEM and some hard to get/expensive. Is the 96 a odd duck? Any input is welcome. I have read recent bog down issues Etc. I think it would be a cool setup or is it just one of those things that is getting old and older.

I restore only 2-stroke Seadoos from 1996 till the stopped making them. MPEMs are generally expensive when you buy them from the wrong people. If you are diligent you can usually find what you need or you can buy a whole ski for the price some people are selling MPEMs.

You don't need a Mpem if you are only missing a key. Do some research. I buy most of my parts from Ebay and find just about everything I need readily and at decent prices.

before i commit to purchasing a ski i make sure i have spark and compression.....otherwise it is only worth the parts you see in front of you. without the key you will not be able to test spark so you are taking a risk that the mpem is good.....along with all the other components that help generate spark.....ie, voltage rectifier, ignition coil, stator.

Thanks for the input and I agree the key is everything. As I have learned Seadoo used a different brain every chance they got. And some years where very specific and hard to come by these days. As for the 96 its probably the most forgiving when it comes to one off parts I may be wrong. I need to get a closer look and get a key made but that means bringing along a battery and deeper investigation. Nothing I cant handle just getting a feel for opinions. Im not afraid carb work or any of that just dont want to find myself with a ski that Im putting money in beyond a certain point. It will be a few days or weeks before this comes together but Ill keep it alive.

Pay $400 - $500 for 2-stroke skis that way you don't care what's wrong because a lot will be wrong with it. :) Just restore the whole thing. Make sure the ski looks good cosmetically. Bring a battery and a key if you like. Ski should beep when you insert an unrecognized key. You can jump the starter and take a compression test. Price goes up if compression is over 135psi you can pay a bit more for the ski. I never trust engines. All junk to me. Doesn't take and inexperienced owner long to do a lot of damage in a short time. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input and ya 500 bucks was the number. The ski is faded and I only got a few minutes for a walk around. But It looks complete. Ill get a closer look and actually I have a Candoo for the key but I think the software is out of date. I have a spare key for the GTI that would be a option to see if I get a beep. I just think the ski is a good fit between to small and to big and if I can get a true 50 MPH out of it Ill have fun.

Thanks for the input and ya 500 bucks was the number. The ski is faded and I only got a few minutes for a walk around. But It looks complete. Ill get a closer look and actually I have a Candoo for the key but I think the software is out of date. I have a spare key for the GTI that would be a option to see if I get a beep. I just think the ski is a good fit between to small and to big and if I can get a true 50 MPH out of it Ill have fun.
96 gsx and gtx are one off mpems just went thru that with a customers gtx.as far as wondering if it's worth it with out running.you can grab the pto and spin it if you got compression by hand its a good sign then grab a 5mm Allen pop off the rave valves and look into the cyl if no scuffing and motor turns and you got decent resistance when both cyl are on compression stroke chances are its gonna run.

Some 96's have a one-off MPEM (one year and model only) with the integrated CDI and some have the separated style. The integrated ones are harder to find and are twice the price. The late year 96 ones have the integrated.

Good to know. Weather has been funky and wet so have not had a chance to visit with the guy but regardless of how that goes a GSX is what I have been looking for so the more knowledge I have the better.

If it's got spark and compression you can make it run. With no key I'd try to get it as cheap as possible, if you're handy with automotive type wiring you can ditch the MPEM and run a zeeltronics with a regular non-dess kill switch.

Good morning all rain here in central Tx and looks like we are done for the season. Ill say this I did get my 03 GTI RFI running as mentioned earlier and it runs like a champ. My ? Im looking at a 96 GSX that a guy has for sale. Its missing the DESS key so thats one challenge but its my understanding the the various early years had different MPEM and some hard to get/expensive. Is the 96 a odd duck? Any input is welcome. I have read recent bog down issues Etc. I think it would be a cool setup or is it just one of those things that is getting old and older.
Yes it only has the 657 engine in it, 70 hp , go with a 96 xp .. 782 cc engine amd 110 hp it’s a bulletproof o er powered seadoo that remarkably reliable a no dependable and race course ready as stock for manufacturing company

Its my understanding that the 96 gsx already has the 782 110 hp motor or at least thats what I have read. The zeeltronics is a interesting to look into at least. Im still working with the guy either Im busy or he is and I dont think its going anywhere. Part of the deal is a double trailer and a 89 Kaw TS that I need to find a home for and I really dont need the trailer either. Got a buddy that wants the trailer so just trying work out details.

Its my understanding that the 96 gsx already has the 782 110 hp motor or at least thats what I have read. The zeeltronics is a interesting to look into at least. Im still working with the guy either Im busy or he is and I dont think its going anywhere. Part of the deal is a double trailer and a 89 Kaw TS that I need to find a home for and I really dont need the trailer either. Got a buddy that wants the trailer so just trying work out details.
Ur right I confused ur model seadoo w the sp. lol silly me

Back