96 GSX and GTX - Batteries Die

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

romeyn

[I apologize if this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I tried searching on "96 GSX Dead Battery" and the search stripped out "96" and "GSX" because they are too short to be used as search terms and I ended up with 10+ pages of posts to slog through. I spent 20 minutes doing that and now I"m here.]

We have a 96 GSX and a 96 GTX, and we have never been able to trust them since we've owned them (about 8 years now). Why? We never know if they're going to start! They are used usually on the weekend, which means they sit all week. When I get to Camp on a Friday evening, I never know if there will be enough juice left from the previous week to get them started. If they sit for two weeks, I almost absolutely will have to pull the batteries and put them on a charger overnight. Then they're fine.

But still not as much fun as they should be! They're used on Lake Champlain--a big lake! I like to go exploring, but I can't ever stop to explore an island or a waterfall or whatever because I'm afraid that when I get back to my SeaDoo, it won't start again. I'm half tempted to sell these and get something newer and (hopefully) more reliable. Is there something common about these that would cause this behavior? Since it's happening to both of them, I figure it has to be either 1) a known issue with these models or 2) my Family and I are doing something wrong and just don't know how to use them properly.

Nope, not common. I would however remove the negative battery cable wherever it isn’t going to be used for a couple of days.

Make sure you are buying quality name brand batteries, use a battery tender whenever the batteries are going to be sitting for extended amounts of time ( only charge battery when disconnected from ski) and make sure you are getting at least 13.5 volts when reving the engine to 4,000 rpm out of the water but not more that 14.5 volts to confirm the charging system is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back