95 XP Seal Carrier Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

After sitting for the winter, I fired my 95 XP up for the first time this weekend, and smoke starting coming out of what I believe is the seal carrier bearing. I stopped the engine as fast as possible.

Obviously something seized up, and there is something black that has melted out of the housing.

I'm assuming the seal carrier bearing will need to be replaced. Do I just remove the entire pump housing and the drive shaft pulls out? Do I need any special tools for disassembly and reassembly?

I've read that seadoo did away with this style of bearing because seizing can cause the sea doo to sink. Thankfully this was on the trailer, but what other damage am I looking at?

I find a lot of information on the later models, with the accordion boot, but the 95 is obviously a little different.

Thanks in advance!

edit - I removed the clamps from the boot, and was able to free it so that it rotates by hand (it was good and melted on). The entire carrier and boot turns which is obviously telling me it's seized the the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes when you pull the pump you can pull the shaft. Be sure to clean up the surface of the shaft where the seal and needle bearing ride.

No the engine will be in the same place and the pump will return to it's previous location. If there are any silver foil spacers under the pump studs then just be sure to return those to where you found them.

Great news, thanks Matt! Sounds like it should be a relatively simple fix. I ordered the kit from osdparts.com as recommended on another thread. I appreciate the advice, and would welcome any additional tips you, or anyone else, may be able to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back