95 xp hot wires.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

blairwill4

So I know I've been posting alot lately getting my 96xp in tip top shape.... Ive been ignoring my uglyyyy 95 xp. I picked it up back in january for 250$ with a shorelander trailer. At the time the guy gave the it just needs a new battery.... Well I get there and hes got this thing covered in pink primer.... So yes I own a pink 95 xp. Anywho we get there I drop in a good battery and she cranks very hard. So I know the motor isn't locked up at least. But hes got overspray on it, no handle bar pad, missing some other trim.... and grey fuel lines. Well its about 30 degrees out at this point and Im like grey fuel lines, carbs are probably effed so its not gonna get fuel. Trailer looks good and lights work. So I offered him 250$ and figured I could break even on the trailer the ski is just a bonus. So then she sat. Yesterday I finally felt bad after returning from riding my 96 for a few hours so I put a battery back in it. Sounded like the oil alarm was quietly going off in the background or something. I ignored it for now, pushed the kill switch down hit the start button and nothing. Back when it was cold out I noticed the kill switch was actually frozen. So much that you couldnt push it down. So I thought maybe the ice and water down in it scewed with it so just for testing sake I took it off cut the wires real quick and just eliminated the kill switch, figuring if this fixed it id have to solder a new switch in anyways. Well that didnt change anything and about this time I noticed the wires going into my stator were smoking and hot as hell. So I took my battery off and said screw it and left it. Im not expecting this thing to run like a dream but I would just like to see that its going to be semi worth it to tear this thing apart and make it look new again. Any ideas what could be going on with the stator? like I said nothing changed since I bought it besides leaving it sit for a few months. and heres a picture of this beast. seadoo1.jpg

So I offered him 250$ and figured I could break even on the trailer the ski is just a bonus./QUOTE]

Take what you can and run and stick to your plan.

If you can get a compression reading. That would of been priority number one.
You can use it "as is" for a beater like minnetonka does on the frozen lakes......

Or

Do a full restro w/paint job and have anything better that that in the end.
:facepalm:

It doesnt even try to run as is lol. I cant check compression because I cant get it to crank. The 4 or five wires that run into the stator... Are they necessary... If I just disconect them cant I just charge my battery and get my ski to at least run till the battery dies since there will be no charging? Or am I completely off.

It doesnt even try to run as is lol. I cant check compression because I cant get it to crank. The 4 or five wires that run into the stator... Are they necessary... If I just disconect them cant I just charge my battery and get my ski to at least run till the battery dies since there will be no charging? Or am I completely off.

Yes.
The others wires run MPEM control (i.e. Spark)

You could run jumper cable directly to starter and check compression.

What would be causing these wires to overheat like that? is it as simple as the stator is bad or is there more I need to be checking?

What would be causing these wires to overheat like that? is it as simple as the stator is bad or is there more I need to be checking?

Usually is corroded wires. But thats with the +and - battery cables. It even smokes sometimes......

You can replace that harness that plugs into engine to be safe. Its a $10 part.
I had to replace one after wire pin was rusted and eventually broke off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back