95 xp 717 only starts if you hold wide open throttle but runs fine. As soon as you shut it off it will not start back up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeagueBag

Hello all,

I have a 95 xp 717 that I picked up. Took it out to see how it was running. It wouldn’t go past 9-12 mph. So I rebuilt the carbs using all OEM Mikuni kits from OSD. Pop off tested both carbs tested good, set the low and high jets to factory spec. Took it back to the lake and it ran great for about a half hour, then it shut off. Had to tow it back in and was able to get it started again but only if I hold the throttle wide open, and it runs fine. However as soon as I shut it off it absolutely will not start unless I clean up the plugs and dry them out and this happens every time. It seems like to much oil is fouling the plugs I think but am not certain. I let it sit to see if the crank seals are leaking but it is not building up oil overtime at all. I have the injection pump set correctly. I’m at a complete loss on what else to do. I have a new stator, rectifier and ignition coil I am going to put in but I don’t think that’s the problem. The ski has 145 psi compression in each cylinder is definitely getting fuel and good spark. Hoping for some insight from someone in this group. Thank you all in advance.

Hello all,

I have a 95 xp 717 that I picked up. Took it out to see how it was running. It wouldn’t go past 9-12 mph. So I rebuilt the carbs using all OEM Mikuni kits from OSD. Pop off tested both carbs tested good, set the low and high jets to factory spec. Took it back to the lake and it ran great for about a half hour, then it shut off. Had to tow it back in and was able to get it started again but only if I hold the throttle wide open, and it runs fine. However as soon as I shut it off it absolutely will not start unless I clean up the plugs and dry them out and this happens every time. It seems like to much oil is fouling the plugs I think but am not certain. I let it sit to see if the crank seals are leaking but it is not building up oil overtime at all. I have the injection pump set correctly. I’m at a complete loss on what else to do. I have a new stator, rectifier and ignition coil I am going to put in but I don’t think that’s the problem. The ski has 145 psi compression in each cylinder is definitely getting fuel and good spark. Hoping for some insight from someone in this group. Thank you all in advance.
Next time open your gas cap and see if your hear anything. Fuel vents may both be plugged up. Tank may be trying to collapse on itself. Easy fix, to replace to fuel vents.

Next time open your gas cap and see if your hear anything. Fuel vents may both be plugged up. Tank may be trying to collapse on itself. Easy fix, to replace to fuel vents.
I replaced both check valves. I assume you are talking about the vents below the rub rail?

Yes and one is usually located under the steering column. It lets air in and the one under rubrail lets air out. Both are one way valves.

Yes and one is usually located under the steering column. It lets air in and the one under rubrail lets air out. Both are one way valves.
Sorry for the late reply. Just got back in town from work. Both vents are good I checked them this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back