95 Sportster with Rotax 657 X Over Haul Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

smhardison

I bought this 95 Sportster from a guy for $500 bucks, and I am planning on pulling the motor to rebuild over the coming winter. Even tho I am some what mechanically inclined, I must say it's definitely going to be a challenge. I sure I'll be coming here asking many questions along the way. I'm planning on making a video from start to finish and will be posting them as I go.
The motor will turn over and it. actually will run but only for about 5 seconds.
The first question I have is, am I wasting my time by trying to completely r rebuild this
rotax 657 X engine? And is getting parts for this engine a problem?
I have a shop manual which I downloaded from this is site, and as I was going over it, l noticed there's quite a few mandatory tools required, and I would like some help trying to put my hands on them. So any help there would be greatly appreciated.
I hope to upload some photos tomorrow so you see what I'm working with.
I am open to any comments either positive or negative as is this is my first time overhauling a engine.
As I said I have a shop manual so I'm planning on going straight by the book.

Anyway it's the mandatory tools I'm in search of right now.

Thanks

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you tear it all apart, some basic checks could save you some time and money. Have you done a compression test on the motor? If it will start and run for a few seconds then it is possible it doesn't have to be rebuilt.

I would do a compression test to see what the health of the engine is first, if it has 130 psi per cylinder, the issue keeping it from running could be elsewhere. Then you can change fuel lines, clean out the carbs, service the oiling system, and change the jet pump oil. You could be in a running useable boat this season for under a grand all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back