95 Sporter Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ochuck88

Hi i have a 95 seadoo sportster with a 657 in it. As of right now it has no spark. As far as i know the boat was docked and took on water including the motor but the motor was drained and oiled very well. Now it has no spark and was wounder if i can remove the whole electrical system and replace it with a diffrent type from a 94 jetski. Both motors have 4 wires that come out of the motor and was wondering if possible to switch systems. I know that the boat wont have cuertain features like low oil, neutraul saftey and other things but i could hook all that up later on. Any help would be greatly apprecaited THANKS.

Spark?

I just did a little research in my shop manual and altough it only goes back to the 96 model, the information my be relevant to the 95 model as well. These boats were designed with the idea that they could become water flooded. So there is a great possibility that your electrical problem is minor. How long was it under water? This would be the first question because although the electrical systems are sealed, I don't think they can stay submerged for a long period of time without seeping into the system. I don't know about swapping electrical systems from a PWC to a sport boat.
Looking at the electrical system to the 96 model, it has the magneto driven electrical system with a stator plate. If this had no water damage, I'd check the coils and also any fuse links along the path.....Seadoo.com's parts list also dates back to the 1996 model. You may be able to look at the exploded view on that model to see if the system is crossable. I know this isn't isn't very much but I'd suggest that you investigate the current electrical system before entirely replacing it. You may find your problem to no spark as a small one, verses trying to completely change out an entire electrical system, especially if you don't even know if the engine is still in running conditioin.

I did just look at the 96 system again and wonder if when you attach your lanyard, do you hear any beeps. It looks like this model is equipped with the DESS system, (digital electronic security system), and a MPEM, which is the electronic module. It may be worth your effort to order the repair manual for this model. I believe it's available through this forum site for a really good price.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 95 speedster has a key, and does not have the DESS system. I'm assuming this was an option or was a change in the design at one point. If you don't have a key, then I'm assuming you should have the DESS system. This is unique to each boat, I'm told, and it will not start unless you have that specific part.

If it is a non-DESS, you must however have the safety lanyard on or the button pushed and the shift lever in neutral to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back