95 Speedster Won't Start, seems to be grounding out??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugamust

I recently bought a 95 Speedster that was sitting for 20 years. One motor had blown up and needed to be completely replaced, the other motor seemed to be fine but had been sitting for those 20 years. When i first got the boat i was able to get that motor to turn over. So i went ahead and bought a rebuilt motor and all the bolt-ons to replace the missing motor. Rebuilt all the carbs and finally got everything put together and the motor installed, and now I can't get either motor to turn over.

Seems like the issue is in the wiring. I am getting power to the safety switch and from there to the ignition switch and back to the mpem, but somewhere after that point it seems to ground out. I'm not sure if that's in the mpem or somewhere after the voltage gets sent back out.

Basically, there is no voltage unless I break the connection at some point. At first there was power to the safety switch, but as soon as I depressed it (with the ignition switch also on), the voltage would die (both sides of the switch were dead). Next I moved on to the ignition switch. Same thing, when switch was off there would be power to the switch. As soon as you turned the switch on, both sides were dead again. I removed the outbound wire from the switch and the voltage returned to the wire and both sides of the switch. The next step i was hoping would be that the wire between that switch and going back to the mpem was bad and grounding out. So I replaced the wire to the back of the ignition switch and traced it back to the mpem. The wire was dead, no voltage. I cut the wire to test both ends, and instantly the wire coming from the ignition switch came back to life. I bridged the wire back together and instantly went dead again.

I'm not sure where the voltage goes on it's journey from there, through the mpem board (or if the issue could be the board itself). It seems to me something is grounding out somewhere along the line, though I'm no electrician. All of the wires look very decent, all connections look clean and tight. I can't spot any obvious issues.

Again, I was able to turn over the one motor originally before I put in the second motor.. now suddenly there's a wiring issue keeping both motors from firing that didn't seem to be there originally...

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back