95 seadoo xp exhaust filled with gas?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton_57

So I bought a 95 seadoo xp about 3 weeks ago. Hopped on it and rode it before I bought it and it ran great. No problems at all. We were headed to the lake the next day and I put it in the water, rode it for about 45 minutes and it shuts off. Acted like it was locked up but I got to tinkering with it and searching online and figured out it was oil hydrolocked. So I get it turning over and pumping oil out but never would fire. I end up burning the starter up and I ordered a rebuild kit. I started tearing into it and when I pull the exhaust off the expansion pipe was full of gas. If I could have caught everything I spilled out when i first pulled it off, it would have filled a coffee can about 1/4 of the way up. Now I've had a couple 2 stroke bikes but a jetski is a new world to me. I know that cant be right but what would be causing it to do that? The guy before me said he rebuilt the carbs in it and put bigger jets in them with a different air filter. Im thinking the tuning was off but it ran great when it was running. It was a little hard to start but i figured the plugs were gone in it. Anyone have any suggestions for what it could be?

Leaking gas past the motor is a sign of bad needle and seats inside the carbs. If you have oil leaking into the motor as well, your crank seals are toast. You will need a new rebuilt crank at the very least but at that point, just rebuild the whole motor.

Well I dont even know that it was oil in the motor that hydro locked it now that I found all the gas in the exhaust. Im gonna pull the carbs while I have the exhaust off and check them out. Its just crazy how much gas was in there. With how much was in there, it should have been puffing black smoke and barely running. This thing was running great then just bogged down for a second then shut down and locked up.

So i just rebuilt the starter and it still is barely turning over with new plugs in it. I know i put the starter back together right. Battery is brand new and was load tested before i rebuilt the starter so i know the battery isnt bad. What else would make this thing turn over so slow? There isnt anything hydrolocking the motor because i can turn it over fine with the plugs out and nothing is blowing out of the holes.

Bad cables, bad starter solenoid, bad battery?
First see what the voltage drops to when cranking.
If above 11.8V try jumping the solenoid and see if it cranks.
Finally the starter windings could just be bad.

I looked at the cables and they look fine. No corrosion etc. I dont really see it being the solenoid because it still will turnover. I may be wrong but all the solenoids i have had trouble with either worked or it didnt. Ill check the battery but i really doubt it is bad when i just had it load tested at autozone not even 2 weeks ago and it tested great.

Do as Miki says and check the voltage while cranking.
If it's good at the battery measure at the starter to bat - and then from starter to engine casing. If it's lower it's either cable or solenoid and yess they half fail and still click. You would have to see inside to understand why. But the contacts are not that step g to begin with. Your already at the max that solenoid can handle.
Cabled always look good but are bad. It's not corrosion. It's the heating at each terminal end that gradually break the connection.

Are you 100% sure you put the starter magnets in the right spot. There is some wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back