'95 GTX starting problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay64

Ok, I'm new to PWCs, bought myself a used one and kinda just jumped in feet first teaching myself about them as I went. I took it out a few times and it worked awesome. The 3rd time I took it out I was waiting for some friends to arrive at a new location, so I went out and surveyed the area. It was still working fine. Then I went back to the dock and picked up my friends, and a buddy took over the controls. We idled out past the no wake zone, but once we past the zone, the motor wouldn't rev up. It was bogging down really bad. AT first I thought it might be because that was the first time I had 3 people on it, even though the 3rd was a petite 100 lb. girl, so I got off and floated to give them a chance to ride without the extra weight. It got a little better but not by much. I had them stand up off the seat and looked inside, turns out the plug for the water injection port had come loose and was putting water into the engine bay. So we took it back to the dock and pulled it out of the water and drained the engine bay. After that it fired up and it seemed to rev ok for the 10 seconds that I kept it running. I took it home and flushed the engine, I revved it twice to see if it would rev up and it did. I parked it for about a week and then tried to take it out again. When I got it in the water I discovered that the battery was dead. Yes, I committed the cardinal sin and jumped it with a running vehicle (didn't find out about that no no till after I came here looking for answers to my problem.) The motor turned over but never did fire, and then when I pushed the start button nothing happened. It would sort of turn, and then nothing again. So I took it home and tired to figure things out at home and jumped it again. (I know, I know....NOW.:( ) Same thing, it would sort of turn, and then nothing, and finally nothing at all. No click or anything. Now, no click or anything, even with a fresh battery.
So I come on here and hear a lot of talk about blowing the MPEM when jumping with a running vehicle. So I started thinking that I had screwed myself with that one. But then when I was surfing around on here trying to find a way to test the MPEM to see if it was really bad, I found a post stating that the '95 gtx doesn't have an MPEM, but rather a module or something.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

"95 GTX is a 657X engine with a 278000423 MPEM. Take the drive cover off n plugs
out and see if ya can hand turn it buy rotating the PTO. If so, remove starter, probly needs new brushes. Put new fuel lines and selector valve in it and go tru the carbs.
Ya got a pair of Mikuni 38I's. They got filters too.

Ok, so if I take off the drive cover off n plugs
out and see if I can hand turn it buy rotating the PTO, and it does rotate, that means the MPEM is still good?
Btw, I'm REALLY new to this stuff. I'm more of a motorcycle guy. What is the PTO, what does it look like? For that matter, what is the drive cover? I think the fuel lines were replaced before I got it.
I'm gonna check it out tomorrow when I have some time before work and see if I can figure this stuff out. I have a decent idea/understanding of what you are talking about, just not sure what it looks like.
Btw, thanks for the advice.

Ok, I did some searching online for pto, and went out and checked out my ski. I found what I am assuming is the drive cover, just aft of the engine and held in place with a nylon wingnut on each side. Taking that off revealed what I'm assuming is my PTO. (Being new to this forum I don't see a way to attach images inline with the txt, so I'm assuming these are all coming out at the end.) When I took off what I think is the drive cover, I noticed that there was some severe rubbing marks on the inside, and on either side, it actually cut through the walls completely. I don't know if that was from the previous owner and the cover had just been installed wrong at some point, or if it is an ongoing issue. I don't have my tools with me at this time, so I am not able to get the spark plugs out yet, so I will try that later and then try to turn the PTO. But I want to also make sure I am trying to turn the correct part. :)

Attachments

• pto.jpg
    pto.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12
  • drive_cover.jpg
    drive_cover.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
  • drive_cover2.jpg
    drive_cover2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7
Also, on a kind of unrelated topic. While I was checking out the PTO stuff, I found a part of something laying in the bottom of the engine bay. Anyone recognize what this part is, where it may have come from?

Attachments

• unkown_part1.jpg
    unkown_part1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 13
  • unkown_part2.jpg
    unkown_part2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a 94 SPi a week ago and found that exact same part in the bottom of mine. I hope someone can shed some light on this piece, I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Shop Manual!

Thanks seadooya.

Ok, I found some extra tools and got the spark plugs out. DAAAAMNNNN. Those things were rusted to HELL around the electrode area! I'm surprised that the thing even ran at all before this incident. Or did water get in there when the whole "flooding the engine bay" accident happened?
But, even with the spark plugs out, I wasn't able to even budge the PTO. OR at least I wasn't able to budge the thing that I think is the PTO.:eek:

Attachments

• spark_plug1.jpg
    spark_plug1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 4
  • spark_plug2.jpg
    spark_plug2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 6
Anyone got any info on how to change the brushes on the starter, if that's what it is? Actually, I would like to know that information even if that isn't what is causing this particular problem, just for future reference.

alright bud, what you need to do, is pull the pump, then try and turn the pto again. Also, where the grey shield is/was, behind it, where the 3-4 inch black tube, thats your bearing carrier, its also possible, that the driveshaft rusted/welded itself to the bearings inside, not allowing it to turn, which then would constitute, the pto not turning, as well, trust me, just serviced one, with same issue.

seadooya, once again, thanks a lot for the info.

Ok, another noob question, which part is the pump: what does it look like; where is it located?

jay64,

I was able to do a search and download the shop manual for my 94 online. It has great diagrams of all components, even how to's on installation and uninstalling stuff. I would suggest everyone have one of these, they are a great reference.

I am new to owning a Seadoo, this is my first one and have only owned it a week but this manual has given me a LOT of information! This forum has also given me great insight. My ski is not running but I am hoping to pull the pump tonight and hoping this is the fix it needs. We don't have any local Seadoo mechanics in my area (that I have been able to find) so I am trying to do most of this on my own, with the help of the forums and my manual!

So to pull the pump, I just take off these four bolts and pull it back?

Attachments

• jet_arrow.jpg
    jet_arrow.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 7
You need two 10mm wrench to remove the steering bolt. The pump has silicone
around it, at pump top are the two bailers and the main coolant nipple. These have
more silicone as these protrude thru the hull. You need to remove these three lines
from inside the compartment before you attempt pulling back. I have had to use a
crowbar to gently move the pump in dif directions to break it free. I hope you downloaded a manual from somewhere and can read all the proceedure info & pics.
Everyone who owns a ski should read cover to cover. Bills86e

Bills86e,

In the manual it says to remove the clamp that is holding the rubber boot behind the PTO, on my 94 there are 2 of these clamps (the manual only talks about removing one) a larger one on top of the rubber boot closer to the PTO and a smaller one on the actual drive shaft (I believe), which one needs to be removed in order to take the pump out? My engine will not turn by hand and I am trying to isolate where the problem is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The Small one. Shaft will come out with pump. Great that you have manual, Great!
Some come out easily, other can be Stinkers, so careful of the fiberglass! Bill

sorta related... I am about to pull the pump to replace the wear ring and impellar rubber boot. Can I just pull the pump and the drive shaft out at once or do I need to loosen/remove anything in the driveline assembly first like any of the bearing clamps or anthing?

Yea....... The water supply line and two bailer lines mentioned above, on compartment side of hull. Re-read your shop manual until its all clear to you. The
'95 GTX also has a reverse bucket that can re-direct the nozzel thrust under the
ski forward (reverse) or downward (neutral). Springs & two bolts eails detaches.
Steering cable on nozzel arm. Good reading in the How-to section. Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back