RESTO 95 GTI Flooding issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Night the ski last year and it ran perfect for a few days on the water. Try to start it another day and nothing- wouldn't even turn over. Get it home, charge the battery, and it shows a full charge already. Pull the plugs, hit the switch, and I'm treated to a shower of premix.

This spring I went through the carbs with mikuni kits and replaced the needle/seats hoping I had fixed the issue. I didn't.

I got it to run yesterday for about 5 minutes, turning the fuel on and off while riding (it would start to flood, turn the gas off for 5 seconds, turn it back on). As far as I know, it would still fill the cylinders on the trailer if I didn't shut the gas off.

Any ideas on what it could be? Assuming the needles aren't closing all the way... how can I adjust this?

I did a pop off test, both are popping at 31-32psi. Before the first "pop" it had a leaky needle (the plug on this cylinder was always wet) but after it had a good seal until it hit 32psi

I cleaned both jets, blew air through the orifices, and triple checked everything.

Haven't put it back together to recheck since the pop-off test.

The oiler was not set correctly and I'm not sold on it doing what it's supposed to be doing. Considering just switch it over to a premix setup and see if that helps things. (I only run it at home, so it's just a tiny hassle that I'm 100% ok with)

You need to put the diaphragms in and covers on then see if the carbs hold 10psi. That’s checking leak down. Completely separate from checking pop-off.

Last edited:
The rear carb did hold 20 psi, (I let it sit for 3 minutes and got antsy, can check longer if needed). The front carb did not.

Have a leak here between the carb and the plate (I don't know the terms, sorry) very close to the isle adjust screw and nipple.
c1162bc4a2e035c90394cb0100987cb1.jpg

So I took it apart after getting some sleep... Found some issues...

All metal surfaces were corroded, so I cleaned them up as best I could (light wire brush) and reassembled. Leak still present, but moved around the plate to another side.

Remembered that I had a cheap rebuild kit in my toolbox. Went to work cleaning, swapping gaskets, and reassembling. STILL have the leak at the same-ish location. Noticed a gasket was off after disassembly #4/5. Replaced with correct diaphragm. The clear discs had black spots on them, which I haven't seen in the past... Indicative of another issue? (Fuel lines had been replaced with black before I purchased)

I'm going off of the exploded view, but have an extra gasket that looks like it would go where I'm having my leaks. Do I need it? I assume it would go between the diaphragm and the plate and not the carb itself.

I feel like we're chasing the right thing now, at least!
210b343e99a66c30bd5d1ab2c715e6f1.jpg
64ebd2f229a75443c6a91bb6a6d917a5.jpg
62c97293b8f053004c5882fe8b79833f.jpg
dbba4d3731d346ca6a6688c51efb4f03.jpg

Nope, those are the wrong parts for your carb.

Please, please, please get the correct Genuine Mikuni kit. You are spinning your wheels at this point

I always replace the Fuel valve and strainer when I do mine. I don't bother with the SS bolt kit.

Yes if they are genuine but they don’t include the correct springs, needles and seats, base Gaskets or selector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back