94 XP Hesitant on WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bensav21

Hey guys

I have a 94 Seadoo XP.
Having problems in the water above 4000rpm - 5000rpm starts to bog and surges on WOT and does not climb any higher.
Out of water have set idle to 3100 and when on WOT revs only to 4000rpm and bangs and pops.

Have drained fuel, put new fuel in, cleaned the exterior fuel filter which was actually all good. Doesn't have grey fuel lines and have put some fuel set in the fuel also.​
Should I check the fuel selector valve, fuel lines to make sure no green goo and not blocked...what about carbs? Open them up to check or just go for the rebuild?
Thanks heaps​

Hey guys​
I have a 94 Seadoo XP.​
Having problems in the water above 4000rpm - 5000rpm starts to bog and surges on WOT and does not climb any higher.​
Out of water have set idle to 3100 and when on WOT revs only to 4000rpm and bangs and pops.​
Have drained fuel, put new fuel in, cleaned the exterior fuel filter which was actually all good. Doesn't have grey fuel lines and have put some fuel set in the fuel also.​
Should I check the fuel selector valve, fuel lines to make sure no green goo and not blocked...what about carbs? Open them up to check or just go for the rebuild?​
Thanks heaps​

Changing out the fuel selector is a worth a try, the rubber inside tends to harden and they leak air, causing fuel delivery issues. Second, wouldn't hurt to pull the carbs off and have a look, may be a good time to rebuild them with an OEM kit if the history is unknown.

If it's banging and popping that sounds like a fuel issue, if it's backfiring that can be timing. I'd change the spark plugs for good measure also if you haven't done it in awhile.

Before spending a dime I would check compression as etemplate said. If nothing else you will know the condition of the engine somewhat before moving onto the fuel system.

Before spending a dime I would check compression as etemplate said. If nothing else you will know the condition of the engine somewhat before moving onto the fuel system.

"in the water above 4000rpm - 5000rpm starts to bog and surges on WOT" doesn't sound like a compression issue to me, but yes doesn't hurt to check it. I thought if compression was bad it wouldn't even start or run in the water....he's not having that issue.

"in the water above 4000rpm - 5000rpm starts to bog and surges on WOT" doesn't sound like a compression issue to me, but yes doesn't hurt to check it. I thought if compression was bad it wouldn't even start or run in the water....he's not having that issue.

But.... if he has been running it at WOT and with it surging and bogging there is a really good chance it is starting to seize and stick a piston from running lean. Might as well check that now for free with a compression test before just diving into the carbs and assuming everything is fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
So I removed the carbs. Filters and gaskets etc looked good. Fuel inside however looked a little dark... Tipped it out. Put them back together and she is purring beautifully.
One issue now is my battery can not start the engine, I'd I jump it with a battery back it will keep running. I have charged it and reconditioned it on a smart battery charger but still won't start.
Time for a new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back