RESTO 94 sp blew up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s very likely your issue... Where did you get the carb kits from? I know the OSD kits come with base gaskets. They have them available separate as well...

Thanks for the tip. Now I’ve got to find the air leak. Could it be the gasket where the carb bolts onto the Intake manifold? I know there’s supposed to be a gasket there. Only problem is that I can’t find a 38mm mikuni carb gasket anywhere. So currently using the beat up seal that was there in the first place.
DEFINATELY a strong candidate for a leaker.....a good seal between the carb body and the manifold is important....a beat up seal probably isn't cutting it. I used to chase system "leaks" by gently spritzing carb cleaner around the various mating surfaces, hoses, etc. and listening for the engine to rev up...take your time. Dumping carb cleaner directly into the running carb is NOT recommended but a little won't hurt too badly for troubleshooting purposes.

That’s very likely your issue... Where did you get the carb kits from? I know the OSD kits come with base gaskets. They have them available separate as well...

Osd dosent sell a mikuni bn38 with choke. Pretty much no where does. I searched for a couple days and finally found a rebuilt carb off a 91 sp. I did swap the jets over so no problems should be there. I ordered a new carb base gasket off of osd so hopefully I’ll have a update when that comes in. Really scared the piss outa me when it started running away... also this engine is in good condition so I’d rather not blow it up with running too lean.

Took it out on the water today with a brand new carb gasket. Ski ran great for like 5 min and right as I had it almost dialed in perfect, it quit on me. Now, it idles perfect but when I go to punch the throttle it Boggs and sounds like a popping noise from inside the engine bay. If I very slowly accelerate, I can get up to about 1/4 th speed but then it pops and will die if I don’t let off the gas. It’s not too rich, the low speed is only 1 turn out and ran perfect before it failed. Really freaking stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back