92 XP Boggs off idle Looking for T/S advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfmeyer

Hello all. Long Post...

I am having problems tracing down a 92 XP bogging problem. I went thru board read Seadoo Snipes info on Carbs/JPX's sticky on Bogging and a few other misc posts on Carbs/Bogging T/S and still seem to be stuck here...

New owner who stated that it turned over but did not run when they bought it recently – they say it sat for unknown length of time prior to purchase. Asked to have carbs rebuilt and get ski running…

I went ahead and started working thru things and when I got it back together it started and I could get it to a rough idle but it immediately bogged down when adding throttle… further t/s I noted that it seemed like rear cylinder was not developing any power – had wet plug when I pulled it first time -rechecked spark a give it a go...

Tried again and seemed that when I squirted fuel into rear carb directly it would pick up and run (hmm ..fuel delivery prob to rear carb ?!) - I pulled carbs again and went through rear carb and ensured the fuel pump was working (had small leak detected under pulse pressure that I fixed and confirmed held 4 psi for 10 secs).

Put everything back together and tried again – still had bogging right off idle but seemed to idle a bit better…(subjective)
At a loss as to next steps besides going back and verifying pop-off pressures and internals are working on rear carb…
I went through the boards and tried to ensure I had not missed anything in t/s the problem… Any guidance/assistance appreciated…

Here is what I have done to date: (engine runs done via flush/hose)

Checked compression 150/150

Good spark on both cylinders – trimmed back both spark plug leads and have new spark plugs

Replaced starter along the way – it was failing and intermittent

Emptied fuel tank and cleaned it – noted that someone had mounted RES and ON fuel lines backwards on fuel baffle… corrected.

Cleaned and installed new wtr/fuel separator screen and gasket

Pulled selector valve and cleaned it –did not use compressed air to ck function but did blow thru ON and RES settings and seemed to work fine.

Blew out all fuel lines – reinstalled fuel system and pressure tested system.

Confirmed fuel pump working –pulled fuel line off and hit starter - fuel pumped into catch container (not great pressure but was working) also pulled pulse hose and felt for pressure pulse when cranked over –felt small consistent pulse (not a lot of pressure).

So tried starting again and had same thing – idled but bogged as soon as tried to add throttle I thought maybe an intermittent Ign Coil to rear cylinder?? Swapped and same result.

I noted that the MPEM had been replaced (newer model but compatible per specs) – I did not run thru testing full MPEM …

I had to let ski sit as I was afraid of cooking the rear drive shaft bearing by running just on the hose for repeated cycles…

So I am stuck as to if it is a fuel problem just to the rear cylinder – or if there is an electrical glitch I have not tested thought of –

One person mentioned on another post about bogging T/S chk chrg system and/or to swap out the rectifier and see if that helps – as I can’t run the ski up to 5500 to check charging system is functioning correctly not sure if this is a path to take..
Would a bad rectifier contribute to these symptoms?

Again appreciate any advice/recommendations – as I’m pulling out what little hair I’ve got left trying to track this down…

I also posted this in Premium T/S section...

V/r
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things become suspect in an older ski, the fuel baffle, and the fuel selector valve. To test just eliminate both, just run fuel from a gas can directly to the fuel pump, I believe your model has an external fuel pump, if not directly to the mag. side carb.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back