91 seadoo xp no spark/wiring help!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jikster

So I just picked up a 91 xp.I have cars,trucks,sleds, bikes, quad, tractor, many other things with engines and do all my own work on them but I've never even rode a seadoo before so this thing is a little new to me. I have a few issues I'm trying to work out. The first is the lack of tether switch and kill switch. Both are missing. The seadoo turns over great but no spark at plugs. I figure I can just twist the wires for the tether together, but have no idea how to bypass the kill switch.The harness that comes up to the handlebars has the buzzer and 3 wires- red, purple, white. The red wire goes to the buzzer. There is another red and a black cut off that come out of the buzzer. Where should these go?Which is for kill switch and how would I run the wires to bypass kill switch? Second issue is oil and fuel hose routing. The hoses were off when I bought it and the manual does not show all the connections. A real life picture of a 90-91 580 oil/ fuel line routing would be ideal. Also a picture of the wiring box would be great in determining if the wires had been moved around. Want to make sure all the wiring is correct before replacing rev limiter etc.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

just join this forum, someone told me it is a great site but haven't had any luck from anyone, I found this manual from this site address but it's for a 95 , file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/SeaDoo%201995%20ServiceShop%20Manual.pdf

Thanks for the links. I do have the correct manual for my xp but I am still unsure of the wiring and hose routing. The manual does not show the hose routing. I am hoping there is someone that knows these machines that can tell me what goes where. I read other posts about disconnecting kill switch, tether, and rev limiter wires and should still get spark if all else is good but not sure which wires need to stay connected.

the parts diagrams can help with hose routing....and give you the numbers you need to search for replacements. See: 1991 Sea Doo Parts - SeaDooWarehouse.com

the electrical schematic is on page 07-01-3 in the manual (I'd guess that VI = PU = purple/violet). Not all the skis wired the switches the same way, so make sure what you are reading is applicable to your ski.

on your ski, the kill switch is normally closed. To bypass you'd need to short the wires....and complete the circuit thru the buzzer wires to the speed limiter.

the tether switch is closed when the tether is installed, so you could short that too. 'course, you'd either need a way to remove one of the shorts or use the choke to kill the engine if you get it running.

there should be more wires up in the hood/handlebar area. You'll need to find the connectors in the harness … follow the cables from the electrical box if necessary.

I assume you'd replace the tether switch (278000072) - it's a little inconvenient to have the ski leave you behind when you get tossed off. However, if you want to make sure the thing runs before spending money on parts, shorting the appropriate wires with jumpers at the connectors will bypass the missing pieces.

If you can't find or don't want to spend the loot for the kill switch/buzzer assembly (278000118) you can leave it shorted. Yanking the tether would do the same thing. However, 278000118 is easily findable for under $20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back