787 Still No Charge after new Rectifier and Stator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

n-mod

So I just replaced my rectifier and stator on a 96 XP 787. I still do not get any voltage increase on the battery when running. Any ideas? I'm guessing I may have gotten a bad rectifier. Stator ohms out good. Can I test voltage output directly from the rectifier red wire?

I just pulled my other XP out of storage so I could swap and test rectifiers. That fixed the issue! But now the ski I pulled out of storage doesn't get spark. I've checked grounds, ohms, ect. Must be something in the rear ebox since swapping front boxes doesn't make a difference.

So I just swapped rear ebox. Still no spark. I did have spark for a few seconds. It must be a loose wire somewhere. Does anyone know of common wires that would cause this issue? I've already cleaned and re-secured the ground connection in the rear box.

I have tried removing as many variables as possible. The only thing plugged into the front ebox is Dess, Start Button, Rear Ebox, And Stator.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think this is a faulty stator. It ohms out fine. I do get spark now for about 3 seconds, then it starts to fade. Every other part has been swapped.

I have a question. Does the stator have anything to do with spark on these 787? I believe it's just for charging. And the battery should be able to create a spark without the Stator or Regulator plugged in right? Should I be replacing the pickup coil?

Check the ground wires on the bottom of the coil.
Check the plug on the engine for corrosion and pushed back pins.
Check the caps for resistance. Check the primary a d secondary resistance of the coil.

Stators measure as 1 ohm. You need special equipment to measure the low resistant or you can measure the voltage from each wire to each wire while running.

-The ground is good.
-I've checked the mag plug. It's in great shape with all 6 pins.
-I haven't checked the coil resistance, but I tested by swapping in a verified good working coil. Same issue.

The stator ohms out good at 0.7ohms on all wires, but I'm reading that you don't even need a stator to get spark anyway.

Pickup ohms out to 210 from the front ebox.

I'm planning to test the white lead on the coil tonight with a test light. It's sure pointing to the pickup coil. However it's strange since I just replaced the crankseals last fall and should have noticed if it was broken. I only ran the machine for a couple minutes before putting it in storage.

I believe I found part of the problem. The rear ebox had water in it years ago. I pulled the coil wires out and the pins inside were nearly non-existent. I'll replace the coil with a new one. However I believe the pickup could still be at fault. I pulled it out and gave it a clean. Now I do get signal on my test light from the white wire.

Also the stator was measuring 2.2 on all wires, however it still charged, so I'm not sure it's a problem. Probably will just take out my regulator faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back