787 engine colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a 98 challenger 1800 the engine is silver, had a look in the operators manual, do you mean the shop manual?

Yes, shop manual.

If you want to get really damn close I use duplicolor wheel silver and then clear coat. Let it dry for a few days then spray it with seadoo lube spray or wd-40 and it will discolor the silver to close to original.

Thanks, its just for a little touch up this year, I am changing all the hoses and rebuilding the carbs over winter, then after using it a while I hope to make a list of all the things to overhaul and paint the engines fully and dress up the engine bay properly next winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_180649.jpg
    IMG_20200915_180649.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 22
Honestly, right now I would get Castrol Super clean, a gallon of it. A spray bottle and gloves. Spray everything down DO NOT MIX IT WITH WATER. Keep it saturated, don't let it dry. You'll be able to see the black scum moving off the fiberglass when you spray it. Once you can see that, go to town with the garden hose. Let it drain, when it's dry, go back and hit the spots that are left. You'll be amazed. If you're going to paint stuff prep and cover everything you don't want over spray on, it will travel.

nice work there. I dont think you can get the castrol cleaner in the uk, but i plan to put the airbox lids on and seal the electric boxes then douse the engine bay and the rest of the interior in gunk, scrub it in and hose it off before overhauling the carbs, hoses, plugs etc, then strip the rest of the hull, rotary polish and ceramic coat all the gelcoat, carbon vinyl wrap the windshields, and I have just ordered all new jet armor upholstery in white and royal blue, going to paint the glovebox cover, dash surround and handles red for a red white and blue colour scheme. I have also ordered a nice aftermarket steering wheel, and some light grey hydro turf substitute.
the temporary touch up I am going to do on the engines is just the corroded bits at the top of the manifold and start of the expansion pipe, I will probably just do it with an artists paintbrush, as I would lime to get it running first so I can catalouge all the things I need to do next winter if I decide to give the engine bay a full refurb.

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_181606.jpg
    IMG_20200915_181606.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200915_181527.jpg
    IMG_20200915_181527.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200915_181425.jpg
    IMG_20200915_181425.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200915_180828.jpg
    IMG_20200915_180828.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 15
IMG_20190121_134733750.jpg

I ended up using Rust-oleum high performance aluminium. Very very close match to factory, and readily available at my local hardware store.

Your thread was what made the decision for me to go with jet armor instead of getting a local company to make a set of covers up for me, thanks. Cant wait to get torn into it, a lot of parts have started arriving but the mrs says I cant work on the boat until the camper is finished and the garage is tidied out.

Have you tried defying a redhead?
I need all of my bones intact to remain dexterous enough to work in that engine bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back