4Tec Low Compression 60% leak-down - Confused!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

Looking for everyone’s technical input.

08 challenger 230 with twin 215s

One engine has been using coolant and oil. I taped an overflow bottle to the coolant reservoir and did a WOT run and the bottle was full - indicating a head gasket as I suspected.

Visual inspection I see oil running out around the head gasket, valve cover gasket, water pump hole, oil cooler o rings…etc. pretty much if it has a rubber oring or gasket it leaks. So I degreased the engine so it was spotless if oil. Ran it again and oil appeared around the HG and the valve cover gasket within a day.

Today I brought the boat home, did a compression and leak down test. Unfortunately these were done stone cold after the boat has not run for a week. I also did the same on the good motor to compare results. I am confused how it can run!

Engines cold:

Bad motor:
35psi, 55psi, 55psi
All plugs out.
Leakdown - 50%, 60%,60%
I can hear air through the dipstick hole since I took it out.

Good motor:
90psi, 90psi, 90psi
All plugs out
Leakdown - 10%, 10%, 14%

I am in the process of pulling the head on the bad motor but what I was trying to see is if the rings are shot. I really don’t want to have to rering it unless I am sure.

Since I know the HG is shot how can I really tell if the motor needs new rings or not when the HG seems to be leaking.

The motor NEVER smoked blue or anything. It always started right up and ran great. Boat always did ~ 50mph and the only reason I am pulling the head is due to the coolant loss and I am not sure about the disappearing oil. I figured it’s a different issue , and not the rings. Only because it goes through about a quart every weekend 2-4hrs of runtime. If it were burning it I figure I would see it blue on the trailer or on plane. Here is a picture of the plugs.

One plug just looks wet because the spark plug tube had oil in it that ran down the threads amd I could not tip it up straight before the oil got to the electrode.
IMG_1301.JPGIMG_1302.JPG

Thoughts?

I was thinking the same after I took the manifold off. I will know as soon as my locking pins come and I pull the head

No broken head bolts. Someone was in here before since the m6 bolts had signs of rounding over

I am really not wanting to rering it. I can’t tell if it’s just the HG. The HG the black just rubs off like silicone jelly! Not sure if this is normal. I never saw it before

Did you end up rebuilding your motor?
No the bottom end looked fine. Couldn’t tell if the rings were worn tho. Cyl bored all looked new.
A lot of my head bolts did seem stretched or lost their torque. More than likely from previous owner overheating due to thermostat housing poping apart. I replaced the HG, changed the valve seals and lapped in the valves and put it back together with new hardware and new thermostat housing. It fired right up. It has not been water tested since it was the end of the season here when I got this done in October. The coating on the HG also would peel off like silicone/jelly. If I had to guess the tests were not accurate. The engines both ran fine yet the results were so bad (compression and leak down) it shouldn’t run. The boat still did 50mph turning 8000rpm for 20-30 mins straight. This was on my good engine (starboard) and the one I rebuilt (port). In the spring I am going to run the tests again just for giggles but I honestly don’t care what the numbers say. As long as it runs great and I am no longer losing coolant thru overflow hose

Have you had the chance to take out your boat? How is your boat running now? Did the rebuild end up fixing the oil leak u had?

I have not tested it yet. This week I am going to check compression and leakdown just for the heck of it. It’s been back together since last fall and I will know soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back