3700-5000 rpm hesitation/bog

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dean.mohr

Hey guys, got a '97 GTX (787) that I recently picked up. Has 275 hours. I don't know much of the history on it, aside from that I'm confident it has had both engine and carb work (based on the paint missing from screws on carbs and head). It also has all the fuel lines replaced. Also, it runs premix. It fires right up and idles perfect right around 1400/3000 rpm in/out of the water. However, no matter if you go WOT immediately or squeeze gently, it hesitates between about 3700 and 5000 rpm on the water. When I say hesitate, I mean it will slowly go through that range, then hang at about 5000 for anywhere from 1-5 seconds, then snap to 7000 rpm very quickly. It comfortably goes a 51 or 52 mph (GPS). Fiddling with the choke only makes it worse.

Since I got the ski, I have done a pump kit (bearings, seals, oil). I checked and cleaned the rave valves (filthy) and that actually seemed to make it worse, though tightening them all the way in got me back to square one. I cleaned the main fuel filter (not too bad), but haven't really touched the carbs yet. Since I don't know at what point the carbs were last off/cleaned/rebuilt, I wasn't too eager to pull them off if I don't have to, since they may actually have new parts in them. I also changed the spark plugs, though the old ones looked dry and had very little carbon on the tips.

I'm going to pull off the water valve on the exhaust later to verify that it is functioning. Does anyone have any other suggestions short of "just rebuild the carbs"? My intention is to rebuild them this winter anyhow.
Thanks in advance!

sugget you open the main jet 1/8th turn, til ya getter right.

:willy_nilly:

Willy-Nilly86

sugget you open the main jet 1/8th turn, til ya getter right.

:willy_nilly:

Willy-Nilly86

Spent a while out on the water this weekend after making about 1/8th turn adjustment on the high speed screw. This seemed to decrease the hesitation, but not get rid of it. I will go another 1/8th of a turn this week to see if that gets it where it needs to be, but if the first adjustment was any indication, I don't think that's quite going to get me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back