240 EFI Low Compression

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys-- I am writing this with a pit in my stomach. Got the call from the shop saying my 01 Islandia with a 240 EFI, starboard lower cylinder has really low compression. Quoted me $3-7k for repair depending on how bad everything is once torn apart. I do not know if I should repair it, sell it or what. Any thoughts? The boat is in nice shape overall, just had upholstery redone this spring... Thanks for any ideas or recommendations--

Nate

If you have to pay a shop to do the work... then it all depends on how much you love the boat. (It's going to be expensive)

If you can do your own work... then pull the engine, and fix it. Chances are... the oil pump gear gave up, and you melted a piston. You won't know how bad the damage is, until you pull the engine apart.

FYI... this is getting moved to the Mercury section.

Thanks Doc-- compression is at 60psi, so I don't think the piston is seized etc. I am wondering what the value would be "as is"? Just had the seat bottoms and rear sundeck completely re-done, also has blue hydro turf. Any ballpark on what I could get out of it? Thanks

I just went threw this my self save some money and remove the old engine ur self and buy a rebuild online then have them dress and install the new motor I came out around 4k for every thing then send back the core when its all done.

Thanks Doc-- compression is at 60psi, so I don't think the piston is seized etc. I am wondering what the value would be "as is"? Just had the seat bottoms and rear sundeck completely re-done, also has blue hydro turf. Any ballpark on what I could get out of it? Thanks

Its not seized... its melted. that's very typical on the Merc engines.

OK.... not seeing the boat... I'd say it's worth $3k to $6k as-is. But it will take the right person, who is willing to do the repairs, and who wants a big deck boat. I personally bought my Islandia with a blown engine to keep the price in check.

There is a 2000 speedster here locally trying to sell for ages, asking price is 2900$ cad. Same issue oil starved 240efi. It's advertised widely makes me worry if my engine bites it, the boat loses most of its value. You will probably get 3500usd after a long wait.

There is a 2000 speedster here locally trying to sell for ages, asking price is 2900$ cad. Same issue oil starved 240efi. It's advertised widely makes me worry if my engine bites it, the boat loses most of its value. You will probably get 3500usd after a long wait.

Ummmmm....

well of coarse it will loose value with a blown engine. What would you expect?? That's not just for boats... that's for everything. Think about it... if you are selling because you don't want to deal with a rebuild... why would the next guy? AND... if a boat is worth $10k running... and the new engine is $7k to have a shop put it in... then why would someone pay more than $3k for the boat, with a bad engine?

With that said... if you own an older "Toy" (Boat, motorcycle, PWC, etc.) then you have to be willing to work on it yourself. (and that's why this forum exists) If you have to pay a shop +$100/hr to work on it... even a tune-up, or basic service will get to the point of "Is it worth it?" Heck... the newer boats even get to that point. After 100 hr's, the superchargers need rebuilt, and most shops are charging $1,000 per. So, if you have a twin engine boat... and are paying for service... you are looking at a $3500 bill at your 100 hr service. (with oil change, and pump service)

If you aren't willing to turn a wrench, you should simply go out and buy a new toy with a full warranty. (Not being harsh, just stating the truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back