210 Merc wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FZ583X

2000 challenger 1800 with the 210 merc, had it out on the weekend and worked A-1 all day, shut it off just before pulling it into the dock and when i went to start again 5 minutes later the engine would turn over but not start. here are somethings i checked

Fuel pump good
All inline fuses around engine good
teather switch good
No noticable loose or pinched wires

I pulled a plug out and tested the spark and there is spark but looks weak(hard to tell with those marine plugs) and compression is at 120psi. Any ideas.... Even with little spark i would think it would kick a little and try to start

I've seen some comments that the temperature sensor may but causing this.

One thing to try..... If your boat has the sterring assist Be sure your battery has a good charge. Turn the wheel to the stop to throttle up a little, then try starting the boat.

Would a temp sensor make the computer read hot and not start even after the boat is fully cooled off? The boat acted up yesterday and i tried it again tonight sitting on the trailer and still nothing, it usually starts easy with a twist of the steering wheel. Battery is good and it sounds good whriling over. I would think if the stator or trigger was bad i would have NO spark at all, i have some but looks week, i will have to get a tester tmr and re check

Not sure of the answer to your question now. When fully cooled off, I would think it should fire. Hopefully someone else has some knowledge on this and can reply.

is it coil on plug i have a 240 it had a bad coil which killed 4 of them except 2 had weak spark! check ignition modual it does the spark and firing order they say they are common on merc??

Just an update guys. After talking to my local merc dealer and him giving me some things to check with my multi-meter we determined it was a bad stator. So 260 bucks later and 5 minutes of work the boat was back up and running. Thanks for all those who replied with tips on what to check.

Just an update guys. After talking to my local merc dealer and him giving me some things to check with my multi-meter we determined it was a bad stator. So 260 bucks later and 5 minutes of work the boat was back up and running. Thanks for all those who replied with tips on what to check.

How difficult was it to change out? Any special tools required?
Thanks

mine does the same thing! ill drive it for a while stop for a few minutes and try to start and just turns over... good to know its the stator

I had to build a little fly wheel puller. Basicaly it just threads into the small holes on the top of the flywheel and then i had a center bolt that i could turn againsit the shaft that goes up thru the fly wheel in order to pop the fly wheel free, stator bolts on pretty easy and can only go one way so no worries of getting it in the wrong spot. The only thing to be carefull of is unplug each wire one at a time and hook to new stator so you dont get it hooked up backwards. I hope that is not to confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back