2017 GTX Hood Strut Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

markhirsch

Looking for help. I have a 2017 GTX 155. Hood strut has plastic ends on it, one broke while I was opening the hood. Should not have happened. I purchased the end from Sea-Doo, put it on but the strut is too long, the male and female ends will not line up. So, I compressed the strut and held it closed with some welding wire. The ends have holes, I went hole to hole in hopes that I could put the strut in and then cut the wire. Well, won't fit in with the wire in placeJet Ski Strut Compressed.jpg.
Does anyone know how I am to install the hood strut back in? What's the trick? Please and thanks... Mark

OK, for those who want to know, I figured it out. Dont need to compress it. Remove the top T fitting. Place the shock and the bottom T in the bottom holder. Place the top T fitting in the top holder all alone. Bring the hood down till you can line up the top T fitting with the top of the shock. Screw the shock into the top T fitting. Top of the shock turns. Simple Now :)

I have had 3 of these break at the t fitting. The only thing I can think of why they designed the holes where they are is to allow for them to break away rather than damage other more expensive parts. I got tired of buying ends so I went down to the homeless despot and picked up some 5/16 or 3/8 aluminum stock (can't remember) and drilled out the t and pressed in the aluminum.

Don’t know how you guys work on your skis without a service manual. The procedure is outlined very specifically. If you break the hinges on your hoods that’s around $500 for a new hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back