2014 RXPX lose of RPM's

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see what some of the experts here think. I know how to work on ski's and 9 out of 10 times I can figure out and fix problems but also know when to ask others.

I recently purchased a 2014 RXPX for half price because it was not starting. I looked the ski over and it was getting fuel and has spark so I knew it was compression (Actually took wrong compression tester adapter when I went to actual do compression check). I have tons of parts and engines so I bought it with worst case putting another engine in.
When I got home and did the compression test it was 30, 30, 60. Timing was off by three teeth so I redid timing. While compression go a little better it was still terrible.
At this point I took the engine out and apart. Clear signs of water damage. Bottom of each cylinder was rusted and piston rings were rusted to pistons that I cannot even get them off.
Since this is a newer and nice ski I have engine casings, cranks and all. Decided to pretty much build a new engine. Ordered new pistons and rings and built a new engine
out of parts I had (all of which were good). Installed the engine. Timing was retarded and compression was 125 to 130 on all cylinders. I adjusted timing to advance and compression jumped to 151, 152, 152 on cold engine.
I also checked over the supercharger. Clutch slip was set to 13. Obviously this is high. I could not adjust it because they actually did weld beads on the end nut. Now this is one area I can say I am not sure about a high clutch slip effecting RPM's to be lower?
That super charger is installed in the ski.
The ski is topping out at 60mph and RPM's at 7200 and the water was like glass.
The ski still has monster take off power. RPM's will jump to 8600 and it takes off but the RPM's just keep going down as speed increases and like I said is topping out at 59 or 60 mph and 7200 RPM.
Wear ring is also brand new with new solas impeller.
I have considered a leaking intercooler since I do not believe it is supercharger or timing (unless someone here knows something I do not).
But I considered the intercooler also because the previous engine had signs of water damage and nothing else about the ski says it was sunk or took on water. Only the engine looks to have taken on water before.
While I have not done a leak test on intercooler I have removed the hose going to throttle body and it is dry inside. Also checked oil and zero signs of water.
Will add water temp is about 60 degrees. 85 air temp. Do not know if the cold water can effect this as well. But top speed of 60 seems off even for that.
I do have other super chargers and intercoolers to try but thought I would come here and see if anyone has any ideas I am missing.
Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
You are probably hitting the speed limiter, there are modifications to remove it. Check your speed using a GPS to be sure , the limiter has a high limit of 62mph. 8600 rpm means it is also hitting the rev limiter, you should be around 8200 unless it's been modified. You need a little more impeller or the wear ring/impeller has a little too much clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back