2012 Sea doo Challenger 180 - LOW compression one cylinder

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholasbludau

Hey guys - first timer here looking for some help.

I recently had an inspection and compression test done on the above boat. The three cylinders came back as: 130 psi, 130 psi, 110 psi.

Apparently the manual states 103 - 130 psi is within acceptable range. However, 110/130 is more than 10% and the fact that one is lower than the other two has me worried from reading around on this site.

The boat only has 18 hours on it, clean VIN history, apparently a decent maintenance record, and the inspection showed nothing else wrong. The boat is in fantastic shape according to the inspector.

What could be some of the possible issues here? Is there another test I could have run to identify the issue (leak down test? Cost?)?

Lastly, I'm going to go do a lake test run with it - then have another compression test done by the same inspector. He said it could simply need to be run a bit to bring the compression back up? Sound plausible?

Definitely check it again, but the rule is usually no more than 10% difference between the highest and lowest cylinders.

A leak down test certainly wouldn't hurt. Could be any sort of issue though (leaky /broken piston ring, failing head gasket, leaky valve...to name a few.).

What is most probable for a boat with only 18 hours? Any idea what it costs to fix those issues?

The items I mentioned previously.

Low hours isn't always a good thing. Engines need to be run in order to move oil and other fluids around to keep seals, bearings and such properly lubed and in good working condition. When things sit, not of the items I mentioned are being bathed in motor saving oil.

We purchased our last boat, a '92 Ski Nautique with 1200 hours on her. We sold her 2 years later with 1600+ hours on her. Compression was 150 on the lowest cylinder, 155 on the highest. Motor was a Ford 351 Windsor. She was used and maintained regularly and ran like a champ the entire time we owned her.

You need to confirm the low compression. If it's still low, then you need to find out why. A leak down test should be done and help narrow down the culprit.

You mentioned you had an inspector who could help with this, so If you're interested in the boat, I'd have him dig a little deeper and see what he comes up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back