2012 210 Challenger Bilge Pump Questions !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

studiocat13

OK Guys, Looking for some info as far as location and the best way to test the bilge pump on my boat since I am now docking the boat at a slip. The boat has been very dry so far with very little reason for the pump to operate but I just want to ensure that it is properly doing its job when needed. Should I just squirt some water down the anchor compartment and then see what happens or what ? Thanks in advance for your help !

your bilge pump is in the very bottom of the engine compartment of your boat. It's pretty much behind the drain plug. Throw a hose in there and see how long it takes for the auto bilge to kick on. If water makes it over the top of the pump and it's not turning on, then your float switch may be bad or the entire pump. To test the pump, hit the manual switch on the dash to see if she kicks on and starts bilging water.
bilge.jpg

Thanks JPASS, So maybe I can just put the hose in under the gas tank ? Pump a little water in and see what happens right ? That looks like the lowest spot back there, actually have my transducer there right now testing it before I glue it in.

When I tested mine originally in our 210, I simply opened the engine cover and placed the hose way in the back in the hole where the pump lives. It may take quite a bit of water to get the pump going. That's why you need to put eyes on your bilge pump so you can monitor how high up the body of the pump the water goes before the pump kicks on. If the pump is submerged and she's not pumping than either the switch is bad or the entire pump. To rule out the entire pump, you hit the switch on the dash to see if that kicks the pump on.

I'd probably flip the pump manually before I start the test to make sure I hear it working. If you don't hear it working, then putting water in the hull may be pointless.

yeah, it's best to test it, cause last year mine had a bunch of crud in it, it would run fine, but not move water. another good reason to pay attention when you have the hose running in there. I had more water than I wanted :)...... I just blew in the line from outside and it cleared and started pumping, was fine the rest of the summer.

I should check mine again this weekend.

We had a similar experience this spring. The bilge pump hardly pumped anything. Blew out the line and then water started pumping out like crazy. I didn't see what was in there but it must have been something to plug it up like that.

Bottom line: Test your bilge pump.

Must be veey common, had the exact same issue when we bought our boat. Thought it was just from sitting for a couple years guess not I better try mine again. They need to be in a more serviceable location! Just takes so much water to fill the bilge.

I'd probably flip the pump manually before I start the test to make sure I hear it working. If you don't hear it working, then putting water in the hull may be pointless.

What should the pump sound like when manually turned on without water in the hull? I flipped mine on today (no water in hull) and heard a very faint electrical buzzing noise from it, but nothing else. Is that normal or should it be louder?

What should the pump sound like when manually turned on without water in the hull? I flipped mine on today (no water in hull) and heard a very faint electrical buzzing noise from it, but nothing else. Is that normal or should it be louder?

I would say that is an accurate description... Still probably a good idea to check it's functionality with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back