2011 Challenger 180 SE Engine HP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerSid

Hey All! Looking at a 2011 Challenger 180 SE. Sales guy says its a 255 but since he's a sales guy, I don't find him too technical. Is there a way to identify the engine as a 215 or 255? It's quite a drive to go see it and want to make sure it is before I make the long trip. The HIN is US-CEC14286C111

Cheers!

Hey All! Looking at a 2011 Challenger 180 SE. Sales guy says its a 255 but since he's a sales guy, I don't find him too technical. Is there a way to identify the engine as a 215 or 255? It's quite a drive to go see it and want to make sure it is before I make the long trip. The HIN is US-CEC14286C111

Cheers!
Just get him to send you a pic of the engine top side if it is the 255 the top plastic cover should be i think white and specify S/C 255 Hp

Thanks speedy! I've called three dealers and they all say that it just says 1.5 SCIC in the system. I don't understand how this basic info is so hard to determine or get. I've asked the sales guy for a pic of the engine bay.

Well the boat is a 215. Bummer! Kinda disappointed that I had to point things out to them to verify the engine. They are a brp dealer. If it wasn't for me questioning things, I would have thought I had a 255. Thanks to the help here. It's a 2011 C180 with 154 hrs with factory wake tower and Bimini. $15999 cdn which includes rebuilt super charger and trailer. It's an SE model. What do you all think of the price?

Well the boat is a 215. Bummer! Kinda disappointed that I had to point things out to them to verify the engine. They are a brp dealer. If it wasn't for me questioning things, I would have thought I had a 255. Thanks to the help here. It's a 2011 C180 with 154 hrs with factory wake tower and Bimini. $15999 cdn which includes rebuilt super charger and trailer. It's an SE model. What do you all think of the price?

well glad you found out ahead of time, i have the 215 and it does well for me, may eventually upgrade to a larger supercharger wheel, intercooler and impeller. I gave $19500 for my 2012 last year with 28 hrs on it so thats not a bad price, book it on nada and go from there.

I think I saw that one listed. There must be something wrong with it for that price it seems low. Check all the normal stuff and if possible do the leak down test. You're paying 2006-2007 prices for a 2011, be cautious.

Thanks guy's! Price does seem low. What are some of the things I should look out for? Told me it had 150 psi on all three cylinders. I'm going to go look at it tonight. Give me some things to checkout for

Cheers!

Thanks guy's! Price does seem low. What are some of the things I should look out for? Told me it had 150 psi on all three cylinders. I'm going to go look at it tonight. Give me some things to checkout for

Cheers!

You need to inspect the wear ring and impeller.

I'd ask him for varification of the compression test.

I'd take it out for a test ride and listen for anything out of the ordinary...and make sure you can hit mid 40's for MPH...listen for cavitation on launch and general running condition of the boat. Inspect he bilge for oil or any other fluids.

Honestly any boat is a bit of a dice roll...but keeping in mind you're saving approx. 4000cdn vs a normally priced 2011 215hp SE, you've got room for a couple of repairs.

Look for excess wear and tear...that will give you more information about the condition of the rest of boat than anything else.

My question would be...did the supercharger let go before it was rebuilt? Or was it running fine and just routine maintenance. That would be a reason to dump it cheap, because if it let go and was not properly cleaned out after,ie pulled motor, it is a time bomb. Good luck with a straight answer though on that from them...

Thanks guys! Water test has been asked for and no problem for them. Dealer said I have option of having them rebuild SC or take to someone of my choice. They will deduct price of rebuild off of purchase price.

Thanks guys! Water test has been asked for and no problem for them. Dealer said I have option of having them rebuild SC or take to someone of my choice. They will deduct price of rebuild off of purchase price.

The opposite happened with me when I got my 2011 180 SE. They sold me a 215hp for 19000 with 60 hrs and I ended up finding out it was a 255 all along. No markings or anything. So I made out in the end. All the advice everyone has given you is great. I originally thought you mean they had already changed the SC but if they are offering to do it then that is great....especially after a test run. The only other thing I'd ask is if they know what kind of water it has been in such as salt and if they know it has been flushed properly...they will probably say yes and I don't think there is really any way to tell but that is something important. Good luck!

The opposite happened with me when I got my 2011 180 SE. They sold me a 215hp for 19000 with 60 hrs and I ended up finding out it was a 255 all along. No markings or anything. So I made out in the end. All the advice everyone has given you is great. I originally thought you mean they had already changed the SC but if they are offering to do it then that is great....especially after a test run. The only other thing I'd ask is if they know what kind of water it has been in such as salt and if they know it has been flushed properly...they will probably say yes and I don't think there is really any way to tell but that is something important. Good luck!

If you inspect the reverse bucket, jet pump and ride plate.....And it looks new....it's irrelevant what water it's been in. I sold a 2006 sportster that had a cleaner driveline that my 2007 challenger and the Challenger had never seen salt water.

Maintenance (and in this case flushing and a per outing wash) makes all the difference.

@op

Make sure you look carefully at everything in the back end of the boat. Check the jet pump and everything attached out really well.

Keep in mind that you're getting a deal and set aside a bit of quid incase there is some maintenance you don't forsee.

Thanks again guy's. Went and saw the boat last night. Interior was better than I thought. Some pretty bad scratches on both sides. Here's some pics. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 60
Thanks again guy's. Went and saw the boat last night. Interior was better than I thought. Some pretty bad scratches on both sides. Here's some pics. Thoughts?

Boat looks like it was left in salt water. It looks like the wear ring and impeller are new. The jet pump is very corroded which will reduce performance. Honestly it's boarderline needing replacement..

This is my salt water used sportster....to give you an idea of what a well maintained boat would look like.

20160524_153252.jpg

Those are pretty bad scrapes/scratches. If they're through the gelcoat, they will be quite expensive to fix. I just paid $200 for a 1" scratch in my black gelcoat to be fixed. There's also quite a bit of corrosion on just about everything under the waterline. That would have me concerned about the condition inside the exhaust system (manifold to be specific).

Personally, I wouldn't buy something in that condition, but that's just me. How does the engine bay look?

The boat lived its life in Honey Harbour on Georgian Bay Ontario. I thought salt water too. Here's the engine bay.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    764 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 56
At the very least, you are looking at pump rebuild, most likely, reverse gate and linkage rebuild... That thing looks like a PowerBall Winner bought it and didn't care much about the boat or money...

At the very least, you are looking at pump rebuild, most likely, reverse gate and linkage rebuild... That thing looks like a PowerBall Winner bought it and didn't care much about the boat or money...

I'm thinking it was tied to the dock during a major storm or something.

The engine bay looks good and granted the pump looks rough you can clean that up yourself. Mine looks like hell I was able to clean it up.

I paid $13k USD for a 2009 C180 215 with 32 Hrs on it last year (2015) but without the tower. Check and see if the dealer can run the BUDS report to get s better idea of the boats previous life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back