2010 Sea Doo Challenger 180 215hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

agersten05

Hey everyone,

I am currently looking at buying a 2010 Challenger 180 with 95 hours. It was used in fresh and salt water. The owner states that it was always washed after use and all maintenance has been preformed at a sea doo dealer. It looks really well maintained in photos, the owner said the wear ring was recently replaced and it is due for an oil change in the next 10 hours.

I am going to go take a look and test the boat. I have never driven one of these boats. Could you guys give me some tips of things to be on the lookout for? Or direct me to a prior post with some buying tips.

Thank you in advance!

Make sure the supercharger has been rebuilt. Also ask for receipts of prior work. Those challengers are pretty sweet boats.

If you're not aware of how a jet pump's impeller feels when it slips, then you should find out before testing the boat.

Check the following:

Make sure every piece of electronics is functioning properly (nav & anchor lights, horn, stereo,bilge, etc.)
Get under the boat and check the pump tunnel intake and the edges of the impeller for dings and rough edges. Also check the gelcoat for any damage as well.
Check the cable ends for any rust or corrosion.
Being a salt water boat check the sacrificial anodes for excessive build up or anode depletion.
Check the hull for any damages and keep in mind gelcoat repair is extremely expensive if you have to perform any repairs. Most scratches can be buffed out, but if they are deep, they will need to be patched.
Prior to the water test open the ski locker and engine cover to ensure the bilge is dry (if it's wet, have it dried prior to test ride).
once the boat is placed in the water, open the engine compartment and check for leaks or the presence of water.
Once she's warmed up, shut her down and check fluid levels.
Scroll through all of the functions on the digital dash to ensure everything is working properly (engine temps, RPMs, speed, depth-if equipped).
Run her at various speeds to check for any vibrations and such.
Make sure the steering is nice and free of binds or sticky spots.
Make sure the revers bucket functions as it should.
Run her wide open for a minute or so while watching engine temps on the display. She'll get warm (190-ish), but she should not get super hot if all is good.

Good luck with your test ride.

Thank you for the info everyone. And Jpass thank you for the walk through check list. This will be very helpful!! I am looking to do everything next Thursday and I will post back how everything went!

Do you mind me asking how much is the seller asking for the boat? I'm curious because I'm looking to sell my 2011 Challenger 215 which I've spent over $2.5k in the past year in preventive maintenance (rebuilt supercharger, oil/fluid change, near wear ring etc).

Yes, I purchased the boat, I ended up paying $10,000. Everything checked out and the test ride went well. I live in Michigan, so I am taking some steps to winterize it and can't wait for summer 2017 to arrive!
118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back