2009 seadoo Speedster 150 high rpm when at idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mada500

Have a 2010 Speedster. When cold starting, rpm’s are normal around 1700. When she warms up, idles around 2100-2300.

Have a delayed start issue too when warmed up but not sure if it’s related.

Any help would be great.

My thoughts:

1..Your Throttle Body is mechanical, so I would first check there for the adjustments to make sure that it is 100% closed when at idle.
2.. At idle, air is controlled by the idle control valve, which is a passage opened by an electric servo. This servo varies the opening based on temp and other factors to maintain the appropriate idle. If this is seized or has issues, the idle can be affected.
3.. Lastly, the idle is defendant on temp calculations from the intake temp sensor. If this is off, so will the A/F mapping which can affect the idle as well as running performance.

Judging by the delayed start comment, I would expect that will be related here and possibly may point to the idle control valve.

Beyond what was said above my port engine did the same thing and it turned out that all the spark plug tubes leaked oil into the plug holes. ECU was compensating somehow. Pull the plugs and see if the holes have oil in them

Thanks for great suggestions. I don’t imagine it’s mechanical as the rpm’s are always perfect on start.

Will look at it this weekend. Is there a test or way to clean idle control valve? Or just replace and hope for the best : ).

This is the Idle Control Valve #22

1657888994222.png

You can pull it out to inspect the metal end of it for corrosion as some have reported that it is all gummed up.

This is what it looks like out

The valve is a motor that basically moves the metal cup out of a socket which will allow air to pass by.

1657889086196.png

The only test they have in the manual is a resistance check.

1657889434341.png
Without software there is not a lot you can do other than a check to make sure it is not visibly damaged or corroded.

Checked ICV and was very clean.

After a few years of slower and slower starts, finally did not start at all this weekend at the end of the day. Just a single click. Put a screwdriver across solenoid and turnedover right away. Assuming this is one of my issues.

I did notice one of the wires fairly loose on the solenoid though.

Just an update and thanks to everyone for input.

The Speedster 150 I used to own had the same starting problem you describe. One of the cable connections on the back of the battery cutoff switch on the side wall at the driver's position was loose. All evidence was that it was loose from the factory. Cleaning up the nuts and lug and re-tightening gave perfect starts after that.

Interesting dsm. The Solenoid was definitely bad as starts perfect now with a new one. I did notice a loose connection on original solenoid so maybe this was my slow start issue. Oddly enough, rpm’s seem to be normal now but need a good day on pond to know for sure.

Just to follow up, replaced idle control valve. Initially thought it fixed the problem as had a couple of runs with idle correct.

Today, idle is back in the 2300 range. Darn it.

I think the high idle and slow start/turnover are related. When idling correctly, no issue at all starting.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to check throttle?

Back